The Firearms Forum banner

Beginner Reloader!!

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  FreedomAndForgiven 
#1 · (Edited)
Feel pretty damn stupid asking this question but wanna verify before ordering bullets... I have a remington 700 22-250 got my Lee's reloading kit and tumbler yesterday and was ordering powder, primers, brass and slugs today but wanna verify the bullets I order are right.. all the wesites only say .22 caliber so will they be the right bullets for my rifle??
Thanks for helping me out!

#2 ·
Can't answer your question, but Welcome to the forum from Yelm WA.

I am sure some one will be along before too long with answers for you.

#4 ·
Welcome to The Firearms Forum, Mile. I do not load 22-250 myself, but they do shoot a .22 caliber bullet. There are several different weight .22 caliber bullets to choose from. My Speer #14 manual has data for bullets from 40 grains up to 70 grains.

BTW, slug is usually referred to as something that a shotgun shoots, not a rifle.

#5 ·
I'd be leery of a site just saying "22 caliber".

Reloading bullets are measured in thousands of an inch - not hundreds. The 22-250 uses .224 bullets, as do MOST 22 caliber centerfire rifles.

However they also make a .223 bullet for use in the 22 Hornet. It is also a "22 bullet", but would be undersize for your gun, leading to both loose bullets in the cases and sucky accuracy.

Them you have to think anout the use you are putting it to.

A 40 grain varmint bullet, designed for exploding prairie dogs, will be too lightly constructed for deer, giving little or no penetration, while a 70 grain deer bullet would zip right through a prairie dog, leaving him to crawl away and die over several hours.

Reactions: crystalphoto
#9 · (Edited)
Don't confuse him, George.

A 200 is a large RIFLE. The 300 is a large pistol.

Also, he said his "Lee reloading kit" arrived. Every reloading kit I've seen - Lee, RCBS, Hornady, don't matter - comes with a manual.

#13 ·
For the Lee Lock Rings, I suggest buying a set of their Lock Ring Eliminators. They look like the Die Quick Change Bushing but have a Split Lock Ring built in. They are about $10 for a pair of them. Well worth it. If you need to readjust your die, you loosen the Allen Screw make your adjustment Tighten the Allen Screw again and you are good to go.

#16 ·
I had a mentor when I first started reloading. He had been at it for more than 25 years. Taught me a lot and really lit a fire under me to learn about the Hobby/Sport of reloading.

#17 ·
I can agree with everyone in get some manuals, and read them. The two I recommend first are Modern Reloading 2nd edition because it has a lot of great information, and a lot of good recipes, and the next would be Hornady 9th edition as it has a lot of great information, and a little history on each round, but on the down side it doesn't have a lot of recipes, and is specific for their bullets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.