Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am new to this forum, new to forums actually

but here goes.

My Grandmother gave me a gun last week and I love it

I have done some research online and believe it is a Belgian Pocket Revolver
I have seen a lot of similar revolvers mainly pinfire which this is not.

It is nicely engraved with silver inlay on the barrel, (the inside of barrel is octagonal), and has engraved alloy metal Grips and scooped cylinder, sadly it has been deactivated with a silver solder like plug at the hilt end of the barrel and seems like the hammer on the trigger has been filed back as I can see no way that it would make contact with a bullet when fired,it is also missing its sight there is a grove where i suspect it should be.

other than that it is in pretty good shape trigger fires (dual action and barrel rotates.

it is approximately 10.1 cm long in total, i cant find out what calibre it is.

there are proof marks ELG star in an oval on the barrel and cylinder but no makers name visible. there are marks on the hilt under the grips that look like
HM BV7 on one side and 'V on the other side

I would be really interested to know how much one thinks it might be worth and any other information I can get. it is one of the nicest examples I have seen online

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
It is indeed made in Belgium.

I cannot see it clearly in the picture, but if that proof mark does have a star at the bottom, it is the control mark for the city of Liege from 1811. If it is a dot, it is a black powder proof mark used from 1810 to the present.

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
And that is, of course, information from an AMATEUR who just happened to remember seeing that mark in one of my books -

One of our experts will surely give you a LOT more information -

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
Beautiful piece, even in de-activated condition!
I was a bit puzzled by the wide gap between the cylinder and the backplate, then realized the total size is just about 4", so this is a TINY thing, and that gap is probably nothing more than the cartridge rim thickness -

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
Can you tell from the hammer allignment if it is rimfire or centerfire?

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
The rimfires I find for that era that might fit that size pistol are:
.22, .25, .30, .32 and .38 - each diameter with several length configurations.

He needs more help than I can give him, guys -
Come on, who knows what this is??

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
The rimfires I find for that era that might fit that size pistol are:
.22, .25, .30, .32 and .38 - each diameter with several length configurations.

He needs more help than I can give him, guys -
Come on, who knows what this is??
10.1 cm is only about 4" overall, and one that small almost has to be .22 Short rimfire.

And as he identified in his post, a Belgian pocket revolver.

Similar guns were made by the thousands in Belgium by anonymous "cottage industry" workers, and rarely can be identified to a "company" or specific maker.

The open top frame is a carryover from the pinfire design, and may date it from 1870s.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Needs cleaned up, the case is a plus, it still looks to be in good shape, the engraving is a nice touch, nothing out of the ordinary. The grips may be silver. All in all, a nice little example of a Belgium pocket pistol or purse pistol. It's worth a bit more than the run of the mill little pistols that turn up, at a auction it might go for 250 to 300 to a collector of such items. That is just an estimate base on the increase values I have seen on the various auction sites. People seem to go a little bit crazy on these online auction sites.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The grips aren't silver. Maybe nickel silver (which contains no silver) or brass.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Normally these sell for low prices. However,the ornate ones can bring really big money. I sold one in mint condition last year for $2200, somewhat more ornate. I would not take any less than $800 for this one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the feed back, I asked for an evaluation from a reputable auction hose in london and they quoted me £100 which I though was pretty low? $1000 with case sounds more like it. not thinking of selling it anytime soon.

I was also told that it may not have been sufficiently deactivated and may be illegal to own in the UK? to have it officially deactivated would cost £100?. still want to find out what metal the grips are? looks like brass but does not tarnish.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
If the 100 means Pounds Sterling, then by current conversion that means about 150 to 160 in US Dollars. A gun such as that has to be deactivated? Sounds odd, but who knows, the US might be the same way if a few years:eek: I do know you would never get 1000 anything for your revolver here in the colonies .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again for your time and evaluation
It has me interested In starting a collection of these little guns

1 - 16 of 16 Posts