Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Belgian flintlock pistol/ more info?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Clauson4, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Clauson4

Clauson4 New Member

Dear friends,

I'm hoping some of you can tell me more about this pistol (photos on youtube: ).

What I've learned about the pistol is the following:

--the year 1811 is stamped on the left side of the barrel near the rear

--the letter “O” appears on the top of the barrel (and possibly a “G” further toward the front of the barrel)

--the ELG and star proof mark suggest that at least the barrel is Belgian-made. From what I've read, this proof was used between 1810-1853.

--lastly, there's no ramrod. I've seen other, similar pistols without them, but most seem to have one

--the barrel is 8 ½ inches, and the overall length about 14 ½ inches

Thanks in advance!
    Rick

2. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

It closely resembles the Belgian Sea Service pistol with a few minor differences and of course it has no markings indicating it was used by some governments military.

I'd guess it was made for the civilian market rather than conforming to a specific military pattern and sold to a private shipping company or individual.

Hawg likes this.

3. Clauson4

Clauson4 New Member

Thanks for your help, Grizzley1!