The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
There were minor variations in the Liege proof marks as stamps wore out and were replaced. The crown/R indicates proof of a rifled barrel.

That gun may have been made for the German market since it has the safety then required under German law. As to the caliber, it could well be 6.35 Browning (.25 ACP); after the FN Browning pistol came out in 1906, there was a popular demand for the caliber and many thousands of those little revolvers were made for it. Since the .25 ACP is semi-rimmed, it will fire OK in a revolver, though the pressure is considerably higher than that of the old black powder cartridges that type of gun was initially made for.

That gun looks to be in excellent shape, with very nice case coloring. While they rarely bring more than a nominal value, I would rate that one at $150 or so.

Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok thanks for the reply Jim, yeah she is in nice shape, the pictures don't do the gun justice actually.

So you figure its a black powder only revolver then?.

I just thought that the lion/animal over PV mark means it was proofed for smokeless though?. Do you think this is a late 1800's gun or a early 1900's?.

I would like to eventually try some light loads in this gun since it works so well and the cylinders and bore are still pristine.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
It's not a black powder gun.
Jim's reply stated that most of this type were black powder arms, not yours.
I wouldn't shoot it a lot, though.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Ok thanks guys, appreciate the replies. I think if I do decided to fire it, I will make some light loads with round balls and go from there.
Good luck reloading the tiny .25ACP round; the Lyman reloading manuals don't even list it.

The 6.35mm/25ACP was and is a smokeless powder cartridge, and the little gun should be fine with it, but will "bounce" some!

Your gun probably dates ca. 1906-1914.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good luck reloading the tiny .25ACP round; the Lyman reloading manuals don't even list it.

The 6.35mm/25ACP was and is a smokeless powder cartridge, and the little gun should be fine with it, but will "bounce" some!

Your gun probably dates ca. 1906-1914.
Thanks for the extra input! 1906-1914, interesting. I'm not certain its .25 auto but it sure seems like it measurment wise. Have to try and find some cases or ammo to check with.

Thanks again everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts