Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Belgian made ELG Pistol (Muzzle Loader & Percussion Cap) mid 1800's?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by BPLVR87, May 18, 2017.

1. BPLVR87

BPLVR87 New Member

Picked this up in the Netherlands from an antiques dealer. He says it's in working order and that he acquired it in France. I think its a dueling pistol from what I can tell. The hammer tension is very strong with almost a hair trigger. A look down the barrel revealed minor fouling, but nothing that can't be cleaned out. A closer look at the pictures will reveal the pistol has some character to it. Please note the dings on the engraving on the stamped side. There are also so large dings in the wood on the right side of the grip near the bottom (See Picture). Unfortunately, that all I know about this peace, but I am very excited to learn more about its history. Thank you all in advance for your time, helping me with this.

Also, I was wondering where I could get an some official paperwork regarding the year and model, as when I return to the United States I would like to bring it with me. The ATF defines an antique by several definition, but for this purpose, looking at their handbook, I should probably provide some proof that it predates 1898. It's obviously a black powder muzzle-loader & percussion cap pistol, which qualifies, but I just don't want to risk its confiscation.

Thank You Again!

1.JPG 2.JPG IMG_2743.JPG IMG_2758.JPG IMG_2759.JPG IMG_2760.JPG IMG_2761.JPG IMG_2762.JPG IMG_2763.JPG IMG_2764.JPG

2. rhmc24

rhmc24 Well-Known Member

Nice condition,but not a dueling pistol, dating from as early as 1830s to 1850s or later. A cheap pistol in that quality pieces had maker's name, more decorative engraving & carved wood. Cheapness may mean it is not a turn-off type that the barrel screws off to load. A simple pocket pistol ------>

Last edited: May 18, 2017

3. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Looks like a screw off barrel

4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

rhmc posted, simply a period self defense pistol. Not even a cousin to a dueling pistol, the engraving is " bench engraving " done quick and dirty right at the beanch at the time the pistol was construed by the same worker . I also think it is a screw barrel ( google it ) w Need to see the end of the barrel to say yea or nay.:) The pistol seems to be in good condition and probably worth a couple hundred but otherwise a common piece of that era . There is no model name or number for that type of pistol, and the time period is as stated.

rhmc24 likes this.
  5. BPLVR87

BPLVR87 New Member

Appreciate the responses everyone! So would you say its definitely pre 1898?

6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I don't believe there's any question it's pre-1898. 1898 is well into the cartridge era and I doubt those were even being made by then. As has been mentioned they were cheapies even for their time.

7. BPLVR87

BPLVR87 New Member

I paid 275 Euro - do you think I overpaid?

Also, I tried looking online for information about ELG, but couldn't find much on them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

8. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

ELG isn't a firearms corporation, that oval with those letters is the proof mark of the Liege proofing house, all guns passing proof will have that mark stamped on them.

Your little pistol pre dates 1877 because the inspectors mark , the letter with a crown over it, was changed to a letter with a star over it in that year.

9. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I think you did. That comes to 307.00 US dollars.

10. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Then again, it cost almost 200 dollars ( what ever that is in pounds sterling ), no Euros wanted thank you and no Yankee dollars, pounds sterling only for a van from Heathrow to London

11. Joep1200

Joep1200 Member

Yes thats on the high side if we compare it to auction prices. But note that You bought it in an antique store thats what they ask for these pistols in antique stores in the Netherlands. It appears to be in a good condition though. And "overpaying" depends on what value that it has for You, if i would conpare all my buys with actual trading prices i would almost always overpay.