The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The the gun I believe says J J Weston Belgium. I think it was made 1928-1965 by the P on the barrels .I would like to know more. Like is it only black power proofed and a better idea of years . Have only shot .22 cal out of it with cal. reducers. I have seen the EL but don't know what the hourglass and star mean.Thanks. any help is great.
Wood Natural material Gas Metal Rectangle
Wood Trunk Tints and shades Wood stain Hardwood
Shoe Wood Bicycle part Bicycle saddle Natural material

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
Looking at Wirnsberger's, I'll give it a whirl. The intertwined EL is a "temporary or provisional proof" for breechloading and muzzleloading shotguns and rifles.

The star over the X is the inspector and I don't have that info. Evidently you do? Grizzly1 has that info as well and as it seems you know, will give the date range for the gun.

The crown over ELG with a star underneath, in an oval is for "2) On barrels of breechloading shotguns that have passed final blackpowder proof."

I don't know what the "P" stands for unless it might be a mechanics mark or the barrel knitter. I don't believe it's the inspector, according to Wirnsberger's.

What appears to be "182" could be an assembly number? if that's what it is. I wouldn't think it "13.2" but if so, could be bore size? I would expect the chambers to be 2 1/2 in. rather than the more modern 2 3/4.

The name on the lock...unless you or someone else can find a reference it could be just the lock maker or the maker of the entire gun...or just a name someone put on it. Belgians were notorious for plagiarism.

I expect Griz to be along and correct me where I err.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The chambers are 2 1/2 . 18.2 is on the bottom don't know what that . Next was thinking 12 gauge to.410 reducer but it has lam. barrels. Think it ok for light loads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bicycle Bicycle tire Wood Tire Crankset
Brown Automotive tire Wood Textile Rectangle

I thought the P on the other side of each barrel was the inspectors mark

·
Registered
11,322 Posts
The crowned oval with ELG and star inside is the final proof, post 1893. I don't have any information on inspectors marks pre dating 1910. There are two inspectors marks, Star over X and star over Y I don't see any chamber length, choke or bore diameter markings, barrel weight or a nitro proof. I'd say the gun dates from 1893 to 1898. The earliest I have listing for on those inspectors marks is 1937 for the X and 1927 for the Y, if it were that new it would have more markings.

The gun does NOT have any nitro proofs, black powder shells only.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
That isn't what Wirnsberger's says and it's sorta the authority on European proof marks. What the book said was the star over the letter was the inspector and they were kept secret. I'm not sure the copyright on the book but it is older because I'm certain Griz has either the names, dates or both that correspond to the letter so the secret must be out.

Without having it in hand to examine I wouldn't speculate on what is or isn't safe to use. If it would be deemed safe by a competent 'smith I believe all I'd shoot in it would be black powder. 2 1/2 in. brass cases are.....or they have been available.....from Mag-Tech and traditional wad components are usually available. They're easy to load with just a dowel rod to push the wads in. Primers are easily seated. Someone makes machined brass cases but I wouldn't waste my money on machined brass. If you load plastic hulls, they can be cut back to proper length and Ballistic Products Inc. makes a roll crimper you can use in a battery drill or drill press.

There he is!!! We were posting at the same time. I didn't think it was post 1900.

Reactions: Hatter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all you are very helpful I will probably just make some of my own 2 and 1/4 inch shells out of black powder and haven't done black power I've been reloading with just Bullseye mostly and red dot. But we'll see. I'll keep you all posted

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
BP isn't difficult, it's a lot of fun and smoothbores clean up easier than with smokeless.

·
Registered
11,322 Posts
There he is!!! We were posting at the same time. I didn't think it was post 1900.
Beginning in 1898 black powder proofed shotguns were marked with a diamond shape that had the gauge of the barrels stamped inside of it, this mark is not present on the gun so it predates 1898. I suspect the 18.2 marking is the measured bore diameter in millimeters. That's a little tight for a 12 gauge, .715 inches but within tolerances for the time period.

Reactions: sharps4590
1 - 9 of 9 Posts