The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
TFFWPP President
14,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my 2'x6' bench moved to my new room. After doing some measuring and figuring in the windows and room layout I need to re-asses my plans.

my thinking is I could build a 2'x4' wing off the right side of the existing bench. I would then have an L shaped bench with both wings being 6'. I will most likely continue with the new part made from 1" square tubing and adjustable feet.

My question is my press positioning plan. As I sit facing the middle with a wing on each side of me I could have the handgun press on my right and keep components to my left. Should I then have the shotgun press on the far left and rifle press on the far right or switch them around?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
Your going to kill that little plastic bench. I typically kep my space to the left of my press open. My Redding is on the far right with about 6" of space on the left of it, and then I have about 24" of open space to the left. Then my next two presses are set up with about 24" of space in between. For me I keep the space to the left of the press open.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
I've been using this "L" shaped set up for well over ten years now and it works for me. I sit in a chair or on a stool when working at the bench. I also am right handed. The "L" shape along with the one and a half inch plywood top covered with Formica makes for a very sturdy bench that is not attached to the wall. The press is mounted to that stained board which is "clipped" to the bench at the front and has one bolt going through the stained board and the bench top. It doesn't move. My shotgun press is set up the same way so the removal of that one bolt lets me replace the Rockchucker with the shotgun press. The bench bases are just those knocked down, do it your self, kitchen cabinets sold at Home Depot, Lowe's and similar stores. The powder measure is also mounted on a stained board that I can just slide around to where I want it. Nothing fancy but it works for me. I think you will like the "L" shape and appreciate the stability it adds to the combo.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Ha, I just noticed the cap on the Tru Oil in the picture was cockeyed. Made a quick trip to correct that. It had skimmed over but I didn't loose too much.

·
TFFWPP President
14,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice way to make interchangeable press plates. I may borrow your design and come up with a different way of the end. I wonder if I can come up with a way that doesn't require a hole in the surface and I can put it anywhere.

·
TFFWPP President
14,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
and I just bought one os those electric door locks like you have Dale. nice and secure knowing I am the only one with access.

I made the 2'x4' extension the same as the original bench. I made it so I can bolt it to either side of existing bench or stand alone. right now my whole bench area is busy with painting custom built cabinet doors for the neighbor lady. once things settle down from her project and I get the storm damage cleaned up I will paint what I have made and post pics.

I also have an assortment of free cabinets I need to hang from the joists.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Here's mine. The top is made from 2X10s covered with a cheap laminate flooring. I was going to use plywood, but the flooring was cheaper, looks better, and is very easy to install. The bench is 10' long X 35.75" H X 30" deep. It has a 2" overhang in the front so I can clamp things down. Also added a multiple outlet strip on the front to plug in power tools and 1/4" pegboard on the back.

The shorter in the back is made the same way, but it is only 48"long X 28" high X 30" deep and the top is covered with 1/4" plywood.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
You don't need a lot of room for the bench itself, it's the storage that can become a problem. I need more room for storage. I'm thinking about going down under now that I have room for the ammo boxes under the bench to be moved to a different location in the room.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.