Bench Shooters and Heart Issues

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by lexjes, Aug 4, 2020.

1. lexjes

lexjes New Member

I am someone who has hunted all my life, (63) now and enjoyed it immensely. But like many hunters and shooters at my age I have had medical issues that have curtailed my hunting activities. Heart attack and arthritis issues.
    My problem is the Defibrillator that was installed after my heart attack. I know that some of you in this forum have the same issue. You basically have a small battery pack installed over your left breast by the shoulder. 2 wires are threaded into your heart that basically act like small jumper cables. I have had mine for 6 years with no problems. I know people that have had the Defibrillator go off and its not a good feeling.
    The issue is how much recoil can you handle and not have issues with the Defibrillator. I have given up on high recoil rifles and shotguns.
    I have basically went to just using the shooting bench and was wondering what type of gun rest that others on here are using. (Lead Sled, etc.) What caliber rifles or shotguns do you use and have you had any issues. Have you modified your firearms, (Types of pads, Brakes, Recoil Reducers etc.) I have been shooting my heavy barrel varmint rifles (25-06) and have no issue with recoil. Would like to trap shoot again but do not think that is possible. (Any Defib guys shooting trap)?
    Thanks for listening
    Bill

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I had a heart attack and bypass surgery going on 16 years ago. I don't have a defibrillator and I don't shoot trap but after my surgery, I did talk with my surgeon and heart doctor about shooting. They both told me to wait a while before shooting high powered rifles, one said six weeks and the other said 8-10 weeks. What I am getting at is that you might want to talk to your cardiologist before you do any heavy duty shotgun shooting.

3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't have heart problems but do have shoulder problems. If you want to get back to shooting trap buy this shotgun.
    upload_2020-8-4_12-47-7.png
    Remington 1100 Competition Trap. Recoil is more like a 22lr then a 12 gauge. The butt pad is called a recoil reducer. It has 2 springs that eat up most of the recoil. You also can get a recoil reducer installed on most shotguns. It will get you back in the game.

shootbrownelk, Gudaki, drymag and 3 others like this.
  4. crystalphoto

crystalphoto Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training Supporting Member

This, for sure.

5. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Consider shooting smaller game like whitetail and using an ar-15 with a muzzle brake.
    I've read article about 22 mag for deer at closer range.
    I'm not a hunter, but I'm sure there are options if you can modify your hunting if necessary.
    You could try like a reloader finding the right load. Work up until you pass out then back off a few grains or caliber!:rolleyes::duh:
    I kind of did that after my heart attack on aggressiveness of exercise. The doc even said that would be fine.
    So check with the doc. You may not be all that fragile, just possible minor limitations.

shootbrownelk and crystalphoto like this.
  6. lexjes

lexjes New Member

Thank you for the reply's. My issue is the Defibrillator and the wires that run to the heart. Recoil can be issue with them coming loose. Not Good. Wondering what tools people are using on the bench. Shooting 22s or 20 ga. low brass for small game is ok. Like the 1100 listed but beyond my price range. May look into price on Recoil Reducer on the 1100. Just getting thoughts on bench shooting gear for the most part. I have turned into a paper puncher.
    Bill

BlackEagle, Rae Harrison and drymag like this.
  7. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Don't have heart problems but at 72 I started worrying about how I'd get an animal out by myself. Just decided to give it up pretty much. That was two years ago. But just shooting and small game, shoot something like a 223 is not only legal for deer but hardly recoils at all. Trap and skeet shooter. If you competitive this might not work. Look for a 28ga. I've got two now and absolutely love them. They are what I hunt birds with though I don't hunt any heavy birds with them. Small game, RF 22's I love my 22 mag but if I were a small game hunter I'd take it or my 410 shotgun. All the recoil becomes a non issue I would think like that. Another thing, requires reloading, would be shooting cast bullet's in CF rifles. I have a 180gr cast load for my 30-06 and 308 that recoil's less than a 22 RF, if that's possible. Trick is to use small amounts of fast powder.

8. Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

My problem with bench shooting is my heart beats so hard I can't hold the gun still. If I touch the gun anywhere I can see my heartbeat in the scope. There is no way I can make an accurate shot with all that going on.

9. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

I'd be concerned if it's that bad but everybody can see their heart beat in a scope. Higher the power, better you see it.

10. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I have had to go down from my .375 H&H model 70 to a Remington 660 carbine in .243 for big game. And I just bought a Remington 11/87 twenty gauge shotgun. I have severe arthritis in both shoulders and it's painful to shoot.

BlackEagle likes this.
  11. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

With the cardiologists I used to work with they always recommend to take it easy for 8 to 10 weeks. Reason for this is that within time tissue grows around the device and helps keep it in place. But in all honesty I have never ever considered recoil, great question! As George recommended talk to the cardiologist. I'm inclined to believe that after 6 years you should be fine. With the heart muscle if nothing has come loose it ain't coming loose. You could opt to use a low recoil rifle like a 7mm-08 with an additional muzzle brake and still be good for elk.

BlackEagle likes this.
  12. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

If you still want hunt deer out over 200 yards, Howa offers their mini action in 6.5 Grendel. I got to shoot one last year, and with 100-120 gr bullets, recoil is very light. Also that rifle was really accurate. Out of the box .5” groups @ 100 yards. Or an AR in 6.5 Grendel which is even softer recoil.

Old Stony likes this.
  13. Old Stony

Old Stony Active Member

I have a Ruger in 6.5 Grendel and it's a .5" shooter as well at 100 yds......very low recoil !

14. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

I'll agree with talking to your cardiologist. He knows you and your condition, and will be best placed to advise you.

Have you checked your blood pressure recently?

crystalphoto and ms6852 like this.
  15. Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

Doc says I'm fine. To shoot long distance after putting the target out I have to sit & wait for about 15 min for my heartbeat to drop before trying to pull a trigger.

BlackEagle and howlnmad like this.