The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a Beretta 87 Cheetah. Was allegedly new but seemed a little dirty when I got and there was some bluing gone on the bottom receiver. It was the only one I could find in the USA so I'm not going to complain!

Anyway, I have a question about the half-cock feature. The manual instructs how to put it into the half-cock position. You start and full cock, pull it back a little, pull the trigger until it engages then slowly release the hammer then the trigger- voila, you're in half-cock. I also understand that there is an automatic firing pin block that once you pull it back a ways, it engages so the hammer cannot fall and discharge the gun.

I took the gun apart to clean it and put it back together...with some trouble. The guide rod and spring where a little fussy. While it was apart, the hammer was pulled back to full-cock. When I got it reassembled, I couldn't get the hammer down. The trigger woudn't engage. I messed around with it...put a magazine in it...and I finally got it down and everything seemed to be okay.

I went to pull the trigger and now after the hammer comes back a little, I hear a click. This is when it reaches the half-cock position. It won't go back forward. I didn't remember it going into half-cock before I took it apart or, perhaps more accurately, I don't remmeber the sound. I have wondered if that wasn't the automatic firing pin block engaging. Still, I didn't hear that before.

Yeah, I'm paranoid about my new baby. However, if any of this raises red flags, please let me know. Thanks.

Todd

1 - 1 of 1 Posts