The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a newbie (first fired it today). I have a question about storing the gun and keeping it (nearly) ready for an emergency - home defense.

(1) I have been told that I should not store it with the trigger cocked, so I bought a snap cap.

(2) If I put a snapcap in through the breach and load the magazine with 3 live rounds, can I just eject the snap cap and load a round through the ejection port when I am ready to fire or is there some sort of interlocking mechanism or whatever when I eject the snap cap? I don't have anywhere to just try this (the range I went mto is over an hour away).

(3) If I should not do the above and I keep a live round in the chamber with the trigger cocked, how long before it might effect performance?

On second thought, I do not want a live round in the chamber. So, if I can't store as in (2) above, I might as well just leave the weapon completely unloaded. Not a good option for home defense.

Many Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
12,507 Posts
Some argument about the spring weakening after a few years of being under load or pressure, I'm not positive this holds merit but is something to consider since it has been researched extensively.
My Mossberg 12 gu has had a round chambered for almost 25 years now and I have all the conference it will fire, eject and cycle on demand.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I have a similar gun mines a A390, by the way, Beretta makes a great shotgun.
If I were to use mine as a home defense weapon and did not have children around I would fully load the weapon including one in the chamber and just keep the safety in the safe position. Keeping the gun in a loaded and cocked position will not hurt or weaken the springs in any significant way. If you have little ones around then its a whole different ball game. If you decide to keep it on safe and loaded, practice taking the safety off and shooting the gun at the range. It needs to be second nature for you to be able to rapidly fire the gun in a emergency situation.

If you are uncomfortable keeping one in the chamber, just fill the mag tube and pull back on the charging handle to load the first round in an emergency.

Dry firing center fire rifles, shotguns, pistols is perfectly fine, its a much debated subject. I have been doing it for 35 years with no issues, I try not to do it on Rim Fire guns

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a great day Harry Mangurian! The beretta a300 model is pretty good for emergency cases. A good way to use it in case of emergency is to keep it in the most popular room of your house, in my case in the bedroom. I am keeping it between the wall and my bed. If you want to use the shotgun-like first emergency weapon, you must consider the uncomfortable size of the gun, so you will be unable to get the gun fast and fire straight away if the enemy is already in your house or you are face to face with him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts