The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I enjoy all about my Beretta 21LR except the safety mechanism. Is there a way to make the safety easier to move? Can a gunsmith help with this? Or is it just the nature of the beast?

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Beretta 21A safety is inherently tight. I understand that the same was true for the Jetfire .25 and 22short models. I suppose it is possible a smith might make it a little lighter. I have a 21A - the safety is stiff, but I almost never use it. First, for range use, the tip-up barrel is an ultimate safety in that if the chamber isn't loaded you can't have an accidental discharge. On the other hand, if you are considering a carry condition, I personally would not be comfortable with a "cocked and locked" carry with this gun, mainly because there is no firing pin block. I would consider carrying with loaded chamber and the hammer down because it has an inertia firing pin with a fairly stiff fp return spring. That seems to me to be safer than full or even half cocked with the safety on.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
You're right, Doc TH, there's really not that much need for a safety on those small Berettas. Years ago ( wow, over 40 years ago ), I carried the little Jetfire .25. I was an adviser to the 12Th Special Forces { Reserves } and being a young E6 with a new bride, I was able to see the sights of Chicago. But " Just in case " I carried that little .25 in my front pocket. Being safety conscious, I didn't carry it chambered. I don't think anyone would carry such a small small firearm chamberd and cocked in their pocket. safety or no safety, would they?:eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts