The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to pick a starting load out for the berry 124 grain bullet 9mm.
I'm going to try Ramshot Silhouette powder.* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
On the ramshot website it has their data listed for this bullet* Silhouette 124 BRY RN 5.1 1,001 5.8 1,133 34,986 1.160
It looks like they may have used a max OAL of 1.160 to run these tests. I do not want to run them that long,at least I don't think I do. ::).
My push test on my CZ compact ended up at 1.187 so I have alot to play with. I understand that I do not want to go over the SAMI of 1.169 and that most people reload 115 and 124 grain bullets between 1.125 and 1.140". That buries a goodly portion of the bullet inside the case for cartridge integrity. So anyway I picked out 1.135 as my OAL and wanted to stick with that because it falls in between what most people use. I understand when your OAL gets shorter that your pressure goes up.
If they started out at 5.1 grains in their data and since my OAL is shorter than what I guess they tested at would I drop my starting powder down somewhere in the 4 range??? I do have chrono so I can watch my speed. I just dont want to blow myself up on the first shot becuse my OAL is shorter than what their data says.

Or would you just load them at the 1.160 OAL that they listed.
I seated a bullet at the 1.160 OAL that they list and it just looks to long
I plan on making a call tomorrow to see if someone can give me a starting charge at my selected OAL of 1.135
I hope you understood this last paragraph

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The OAL listed in the reloading manual is what the test techs used to get the pressures/velocities they reported. These dimensions are not a hard and fast formula/tolerance. I don't like to "average" anything when reloading. I would load starting loads at the "book" length and try the plunk test with the ammo in my barrel. If the round doesn't "plunk" then shorten the OAL...

Don't know what your "push test" is, btw.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The OAL listed in the reloading manual is what the test techs used to get the pressures/velocities they reported. These dimensions are not a hard and fast formula/tolerance. I don't like to "average" anything when reloading. I would load starting loads at the "book" length and try the plunk test with the ammo in my barrel. If the round doesn't "plunk" then shorten the OAL...

Don't know what your "push test" is, btw.
I talked to Ramshot and since I shorted the OAL they said to start at 4.8 to 5.0 and use 5.6 as my max. I am going to load up 7 rounds of each group starting at 4.9 grains and go up 1 grain at a time. I plan to chrono each group in hopes to find my sweet spot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts