Best 17 hmr

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by TheSniper, Apr 11, 2009.

1. TheSniper

TheSniper New Member

What is the best 17 hmr rifle for hunting??
    Thanks.

2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I think you can pay as much as you want for one but I know folks who have the Savage 93 series rifles with the Accutrigger that can do anything you need for hunting small game and at about $250. Compared to an Anschutz that's pocket change. I've been looking at the various Marlin and Savage rifles and think I've decided I want a Savage.

The little Savage with Accutrigger is capable of near-one-hole groups with a proper shooter and scope at 100 yards with no wind (again, the proper shooter is the most important part).

3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I recently bought a Savage 93R17 with the Accutrigger. I have only played around with sighting the scope (in the back yard, about 60 yards), but so far I think that would be the way to go. I really like that trigger!!

5. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL Active Member

Do you mean killing or hunting? The .17HMR is not really suitable for hunting.

6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I assumed he was referring to squirrel, fox, raccoon, etc... :confused: Maybe not... Good point.

7. FWP

FWP New Member

I don't know what would be considered the "best 17 HMR". There are many good ones out there and it may come down to your personal opinion.

I have the CZ and I am very happy with it. It is well made and very accurate. The only flaw I see is the trigger guard could have been inletted but that is only cosmetic.