Registered
1,329 Posts
Wilson makes a great mag!
I have had good luck with them and with some metalform made colt branded mags
I seem to have better luck with 7 round mags

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Who makes the best and why? I like Wison Combats. I think the hold up best.
In my experience, Wilson Combat is regarded as making the best 1911 magazine.

Others that come highly recommended are Chip McCormick, and Metalform. I recently got two Metalform mags for my Springer and love em.

I stick to the 7-round magazines for mine since my gun functions best with them vs. 8-round.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
The shop sells more wilsons than any other. Mec-Gar are a close second and have held up really well in the range guns.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I have wilsons and mccormics and they are both good. Metal form comes with the STIs and they look good as well. I think any of these will serve you well.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I think Checkmate is what Ed Brown's come with. The mags STI's come with are less than stellar. We've had a lot of issues with them especially in the 9mm where they feed to low into the ramp and fail to feed. Swap them with another brand and the problem goes away. Its not a lip issue either, been there, messed with it several times;)

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I think Checkmate is what Ed Brown's come with. The mags STI's come with are less than stellar. We've had a lot of issues with them especially in the 9mm where they feed to low into the ramp and fail to feed. Swap them with another brand and the problem goes away. Its not a lip issue either, been there, messed with it several times;)
I was basing my opinion on the STI mags from shooters reports. He has had good luck with his. They appear to be decent, but experience trumps appearence.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Wilson all the way for me. If I am going to buy extra mags, it's gonna be from them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
With my STI I actually had problems with the Wilson 47D. The polymer portion of the follower became groved and would not hold the slide open. The factory ACTs have been fine, but for total dependability (confidence), I've been using Tripps - flush, 7 rd.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bet my life as does the LEO around the country that carry & use the TRIPPS magazines in their duty 1911's, You cant ask for a better gaurentee than that.?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts