The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a good 22 rifle for varmint and plinking. I want great accuracy. I would like to have a decent ammo capacity. I already checked out the 10/22 and the marlin 60, and I dont like the plastic parts. I would prefer a bolt action or maybe a lever action.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
keep in mind a lever action will limit your ultimate ammo capacity to tube mag length.. and be slower to reload a tube mag... ie.. no 'swapping an empty magazine w a fresh one in the heat of plinking and paper target hunting. :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Savage Mark II, CZ 455, and the Marlin XT22 are probably the most accurate bolt action .22s out there in this price range. The Marlin XT tube magazine model can hold 17 .22LR rounds. Nice feature there for sure.
Henry Golden Boy would be a notable lever action, might be $400+ though

·
Premium Member
19,860 Posts
Savage Mark 11. My son has one and it is a real tack driver. It has a 10 round mag. He has several.

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,735 Posts
CZ 452
CZ 453
CZ 455
For fit, finish, and accuracy, they are hard to beat, All will accept 10 round mags.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone had any experience with the henry 22? Is that accurate? I like the fact it shoots shorts longs and lr. I know some bolt actions do this too.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the henry 22? Is that accurate? I like the fact it shoots shorts longs and lr. I know some bolt actions do this too.
My uncle has a Henry Golden Boy in 17 HMR and is a very beatiful and luxurious rifle. Almost too pretty to shoot. We had issues with the buckhorn iron sights, it was shooting high with rear sight on a low setting, we just didn't tinker with it enough. I don't know your expectations for accuracy, but any new .22 will be plenty accurate.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I have the Standard Model .22 Henry and as far as accuracy is concerned,
the rifle is HIGHLY accurate with the right ammo.
At one time, I put a cheap scope on it and didnt like the scope it's self. But since then I've got it open sights...accurate as can be!!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Get a Marlin XT-22. They are very accurate (I can hit a penny consistently at 25 yards). And the good thing, its only $200 new! I have taken 1 squirrel and at least 5 groundhogs (farthest one was around 60 yards). I wish it would have a bigger magazine though (it holds only 7 in a detachable magazine) but you can always buy more. I don't think I will ever be sorry I got it! :D IMHO, it is THE BEST 22 rifle for one who doesn't want to spend much money.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Is the marlin xt 22 any good?
The best Marlin bolt in the XT22 series would be the XT22-MVSR.
Heavy barrel, .22WMR, dead sexy at under $300 ;)

Kinda hoping they'll make a .22LR heavy barrel (ala Marlin 2000) but haven't noticed any on the Marlin site yet...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Kinda hoping they'll make a .22LR heavy barrel (ala Marlin 2000) but haven't noticed any on the Marlin site yet...
Do they have a lefty model? There's a savage mark 2 gl lefty for $200 on buds gun shop.

·
Garandaholic
9,512 Posts
I have the Henry H0001 in 22lr, a fine rifle, fit, finish and performance are all great.

It's a target rifle, but about the best "deal" you're going to get on a .22 today is this;
http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/22targetsurplus.htm The Kimber 82, not the other ones..

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,735 Posts

Kinda hoping they'll make a .22LR heavy barrel (ala Marlin 2000) but haven't noticed any on the Marlin site yet

CZ already has one,455 Varmint, that is very accurate, and dead sexy.;)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
CZ already has one,455 Varmint, that is very accurate, and dead sexy.;)
Yep, but it ain't Made in America...nor as inexpensive...

Nice to see another NW Fla person around here!
Once Pensacola Specialty Pawn opens their indoor range...should see me in town more often ;)

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,735 Posts
Yep, but it ain't Made in America...nor as inexpensive...

Nice to see another NW Fla person around here!
Once Pensacola Specialty Pawn opens their indoor range...should see me in town more often ;)
I checked several months ago and they weren't making much progress. Are they getting close to opening?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
two months ago they were talking about putting it up on Hwy 29 to avoid city taxes & ordinances...
which reminds me...I do need to check on the current status...

One of the pawn shops in Milton was talking about doing an indoor range as well...
they even started a petition to get it ok'd by the city council...need to check that as well...

Hrm...better start a new thread when I get new info...*THREADJACK* lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts