The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not hunted (deer) for over 20 years but thinking about getting back into it again. I recently purchased a few acres and when hiking around I have notice lots of deer sign. All that said, I'm thinking of buying a 270, ideally with scope. Would love to get that combo for around $500-$600 if possible. For what I'm looking to spend, I seem to be pushed into the Savage corner. Are there other choices that I'm overlooking?
Thanks for your help,

·
Super Moderator
39,170 Posts
I agree with One Shot on the Ruger. They should have a combo deal, if you can find one in these trying times!

·
Premium Member
7,621 Posts
Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
GUNZILLA
6,242 Posts
At your price point I would go with the Savage 110. Deadly accurate out of the box. You could go cheaper with the Axis but have no experience with the rifle so will not recommend it for that reason.

·
Premium Member
19,382 Posts
Ruger American, Remington ADL, Savage 110 all good rifles. You can't go wrong with any of these. I would buy whatever I could get the best deal on these 3.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Seem's to me there are lot's of choices. I didn't see the Mossberg Patriot mention. Got two of them and the 243 shot great out of the box. the 308 I only have shot cast bullet's in. Got the 243 with a plastic stock and ordered a wood stock right away /shot great with that plastic stock and greater with the wood one. Put a 4 1/2x14 Redfield on it and a bit under $500. I've got a couple RedfieldLeupold 2-7's on other rifles. They were about $150 off amazon, very good scopes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nothing wrong with any of the brands mentioned. My Grandaughter shot her first deer last Sunday AM with her Winchester .308 at 158 yards using Hornady Custom 150 gr. SST Interlock ammo. Reasonably priced but accurate and easy to handle.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Got a bass pro/cabelas ad today, and they are offering the Savage axis with a Weaver 3-9x40 scope. Multiple calibers available for $239.97 after rebates etc. Yes the stock is plastic, but the action, bolt, barrel are all built to perform. I bought one in 7mm-08 two yrs ago, same situation. Wanted something that I didn't mind carrying in the rain. Very pleased with this firearm, and consistently ringing the gong out to 300 yrds with it.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I love the what's the best question's. Ask what's the best of one thing or another and ya get 22 different guy's tell you 22 different makes from which you get to decide who's right! If a Night Force scope is really better than a Tasco but you can't afford the Night force, the Tasco is a better scope for you!

·
TFFWPP President
13,582 Posts
My brother used his Savage 110 in 25-06 to take a deer at 259 on Friday. Straight out of the box with scope, $550. I have an older Savage 270win I bought used from Scheels 7-8 years ago with 3-9 scope for $200. Sumbich is spot on accurate and as reliable as the sunrise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts