The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think is the best .308 bolt action rifle under $1000? I was looking at the Remington 700, but the SPS stock has me put off of most of them. I want something that doesnt need anything done to it out of the box. If I got the SPS I would have to replace it and bed it. I like synthetic stocks just because I am hard on wood, but I know a good wood stock will take some abuse. Eventually I would like to have a really good scope on it, but it will take a while to save up what I plan to spend on that. I have a 3-9x40 I can put on it in the meantime, but I want it to be ready for long range when I get it.

What do yall think?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Remington 700...you cant beat it. Look for a used one if you want wood. Mines a 22-250 Varmint and I love it. It was the action of my M40A1 in the USMC as well so it does just fine.

·
Registered
981 Posts
You gotta let us know what it's main purpose will be. You mention long rang, target or hunting? Lots of good choices out there, a little more info and we'll be better able to help.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
for the money an accustocked savage 10 precision carbine is not beatable. You aint gotta do anything to it out of the box, cept put a scope on it an ammo in the magazine.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Tend to go with Josh on the Savage, Couple of bonus' too, threaded barrel and DBM.
Own a 700 with a B&C stock but Savages are winning me over (got three).

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
How bout a CZ 700 - that's my deer gun and anything else I decide to go after - picked it up for just over 500 and ain't shot it yet! Clean and shiny bore and only a couple of dings on the wooded stock!

·
Banned
10,196 Posts
Savage mdl 12. 26" bbl will shoot around 2900-3100 fps.

Best thing out the box. Heavy but it gets the job done at a distance.

G

·
I too will agree with Josh and say the Savage 10.

This is coming from a guy with
Rem 700VLS
Rem M 30 Express
Rem 511x
Rem 513t
1917 Rem Enfield
in his safe.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
The accustocked Precision carbine in .308 is just a rugged beast of a rifle. All it needs is a quality scope and mounting system and quality ammo and even with the 20" tube itll shoot easy out at 1000.

One little vibration dampening trick too is to remove the butt pad and fill the hollow buttstock with silicone. Let it set up for a couple days to harden before replacing the pad. Just so it doesn't stick. It helps tremendously witht he balance of the rifle and also sucks all the vibration out of the recoil impulse and you will notice slightly tighter groups

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Not in the tens of thousands of rounds ive fired thru them. The one issue is with the accuttriggers, and especially the target accutriggers, if set too light closing the bolt too hard will drop the cocking piece on the trigger safety. And the target accutriggers can go off, also dropping onto the trigger safety if you engage the trigger safety bar too hard with your finger.

That's the 1 and only qualm ive ran into. An easy and very affordable fix is to upgrade the accvutrigger to a Rifle Basix and do away with the trigger safety altogether.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The Savage is looking pretty good. What is the price on these, normally? I looked at Gander just now and they were about $900. All that was was a 20" barrel. That would probably be good enough, but do they have a 24" barrel? Savages website seems to be lacking in information from my quick glance.

JLA, is that trigger a drop in? How much does it run? I'm assuming that the accutrigger does not actually make the rifle fire in the condition you are talking about. right? Is this similar to the Remington 700 issue I have read about?

This is primarily going to be a hunting rifle, but I'd like to do long range with it. Extra weight is no problem though. I dont plan on packing it for miles and I can handle it anyway.

Does anybody have any other suggestions? Or suggestions for another to look at besides the Savage 10? I will say that I REALLY like a detachable magazine, but that is not a killer. Not having one just seems stupid, but I guess some people may prefer them, which then the DBM would seem stupid.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have used a Howa and a Savage lately and liked them both.
I'm also getting a new Savage 11 with the Nikon 3 9 40 next week.
I have heard the Ruger American is a super rifle also. But I have yet to try one.
dc

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What is your Howa like? Have you done any long range shooting with it?

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
hey country101 , go to www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10ba and look at the savage 10 ba .308 bolt action with 10 round capacity, its going to run you around 2k+ so you might want to save up for that gun, it would be well worth it though, its only 13 pounds i believe, if i had the money and it was in stock id buy it today, it seems like the cadillac of .308's

also it has a 24" barrel like you asked about

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Yeah, that's a little out of my price range........ I'd like to stay under 1k.

Can anybody tell me the differance between the precision carbine, 10 FLCP-K, and 10 FCP-K? They all look the same from what I can see on the site.....

Edit: Looks like the second one is left handed and both the latter ones are fluted barrels. Is that a muzzle break on them? I guess the other differance is a 24" barrel instead of the 20.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
as a hunting rig with the trigger set to about 3 pounds the rifle will be just fine box stock country. I have my accutrigger breaking at 2 pounds and its ok, even with the giant bolt handle I have on it. Its mainly an issue if you go lower than 2 pounds. If I adjust mine down to break at 1.5#, which is as low as a factory, non target, accutrigger can go, it will drop the striker when I close the bolt hard. It wont fire a round in that condition as it falls to the trigger safety. think of it as a half cock notch in that regard.

In my experience with practical rifle marksmanship. a 3# trigger is plenty light overall. Its a little heavy for bench work, just right for prone and supported sitting. But kneeling and standing both supported and unsupported you will think its far too light.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts