The Firearms Forum banner

Best .45 ACP self defense round?

6K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Twicepop 
#1 ·
With my 9mm I use Federal 147gr HST rounds, for my .38spl its Hornady custom 158 gr.

With the 45 I see a lot of JHP rounds that are 185 gr but I do like the idea of a 230gr slug flying out of the barrel. What do you fine fellows prefer?

#4 ·

230gn XTP is my personal choice. They will all do the job if they hit the right spot though. Best advice is to test and see what works best for your gun. Impact points and recoil will vary.

#6 ·
I have always shot hydrashoks. Based on my experience with hogs(killed more than a few between my 30-30 and .45) always go with the 230gr. The 180 +p's did not drop pigs nearly as effectively.

From what I recall, the round that replaced the hydrashok is supposedly an improvement, but the difference is marginal. Most of the major self defense rounds today perform adequately. And by adequate I mean I would trust my life to them. I have shot hydrashoks, so I will likely keep using them because they cycle flawlessly and I am comfortable with them. I looked at the HST and the PDX1's before and cant remember which one I was thinking of switching to. In the end, apparently, it wasnt that big of a deal since I didnt switch.

#7 · (Edited)
Realible expansion of a hollow point bullet in a handgun is problematic, at best. This is why the rounds that get the better expansion are usually the lighter, faster bullets. Hornaday's XTP's usually out perform all other's. I'm another who likes the 230, and 240 grain bullets. Big slow bullets don't have the over penetration problems that lighter, faster bullets do. Anytime a hollow polnt fails to expand, of acts like a solid.

#8 ·
Carried an M1911A1 loaded with 230gr FMJ for 30+ years. Shot umpteen thousand rounds through it, and using factory mags with GI or commercial ball rounds it never failed me - not once. On the other hand, a buddy of mine carried a Colt Commander, tried various JHPs and had his share of feeding glitches - nothing consistent, but it just takes one. Feeding the Commander 230gr hardball it worked first time, every time.

#9 ·
The 45 was designed to stop a soldier, in full battle gear, with a 230 grain FMJ. It is hard to beat history, even with advances in bullet construction. I tried the "flying ashtray" Speer 200 grain HP back in the day but it would pick up cloth (on impact) and not expand. I eventually went to a 250 grain LRN and still got good performance out of it. It penetrated as far as the 230 but tumbled about 6 inches in leaving a lot of damage in its wake. I used a Fackler Box to test the bullets with and without "clothes".

#11 ·
Of coruse, making sure rounds feed is key. SGAmmo has 230gr HST rounds for 25 bucks a box so I think

Looking at 230gr HST tests I have to say they look as impressive as the 9mm loads I carry. I think I need to get 200 rounds and run them through the gun.

Many rounds out there. Try a few to see what your gun likes. Here's a link to a comparison:
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/
I should have thought to check Luckygunner.com. Great info.

#14 ·
With all the new ammo advances in the last few years, most of the calibers are probably going to do a good job pending where the shot lands, distance involved and the mental fortitude of the person shot. The medical examiners reports along w/ hospital er docs tend to notice more rounds used w/ 9mm than 45acp. The pass thru's left larger damage areas w/ 45acp. But using a bullet as the determining factor will leave open those determined to continue cause they are hard cases themselves. The military is a prime example. They get hit w/ rifle rounds and many keep fighting. A civilian next door gets hit w/ a bb and lays down and calls 911. A person used a 10/22 and killed several people. Another person was killed w/ a bb. You just never know. But the Benford 45 is the absolute best bar none!

#15 ·
One of my "house guns" is my 1911A1 loaded with 230 FMJ to a bit under 900 fps. I certainly do not feel "undergunned". One major factor in my bullet choice is my 1911s and my Ruger P90 have never failed to feed and fire the old 230 jacketed RN (I also have some Hi-Tek coated cast bullets loaded). I figger it's like using a single 8 lb. jack vs a tack hammer...

#16 ·
I tend to think every pistol is like my old XD-9 which has ran probably close to 7500 rounds of all kinds with no malfunctions.

My 1911 isn't a defence gun yet since I want to break it in more but sgammo has such a great deal on the HST rounds that I think I'll grab some, only a bit more than ball off the shelf around here.

#19 · (Edited)
Most of the time the Critical Defense, and the Critical Duty ammo will expand, but nothing expands every time in pistol calibers.

#20 ·
In choosing the hydrashoks, I shot 300 rounds of it to make sure that it would feed reliably and have shot several hundred more later. I used them to shoot hogs quite a bit and even accidentally had some very expensive dead armadillos when I forgot to change mags. The hogs were a good testing ground for the effects. A hog will hold up a lot longer than a human, so if it put them down, I can trust it.

I would not just pick a random round without testing it to make sure it feeds well. That said, my kimber has never had feeding issues with any round I have tried. If your gun is finicky, be extra sure to spend the money on some range time with your intended load to make sure there are no problems.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.