The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have Winchester 1885 Low Wall Rifle in 17 HMR. Looking for ammo that shoots most accurately from the 1885 LW. Any experiences to share?

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They made .17 HMR in 1885?
No! It is a Winchester Model 1885 Low Wall Rifle made for the 17 HMR and manufactured by Miroku in Japan. It is a single shot rifle - the cartridge is removed by hand and a fresh cartridge has to be inserted by hand. Theoretically the most accurate action of any because nothing is wiggling. Hell, even in a bolt action there is a little bit of wobble. Nobody, that I know of, makes match ammo for the 17 HMR like they do the 22 Eley match ammo. So I am looking to find the best and most accurate ammo I can find for my rifle. I have a "thing" for single shot rifles and accuracy. Just out of curiosity take a look at the Winchester 1885 Low Wall. They are not exactly easy to find and they are not inexpensive.

This is a 10 shot group at 50 yards which is really good at 50 yards. Wanted to try for 100 yards but I ran out of ammo. Have tried the same ammo (different batch) and did not get the same results so I didn't even try at 100 yards. Also I have not found any other 17 HMR ammo that even came close to what you see in the photo. So I am still looking for the most accurate ammo I can find for my rifle. Surely you understand.

·
Super Moderator
39,004 Posts
If you can't find any ammo that shoots better than that, then it looks like you have found the ammo. At least that is my feelings. I wish I could put 10 rounds in a dime sized area.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can't find any ammo that shoots better than that, then it looks like you have found the ammo. At least that is my feelings. I wish I could put 10 rounds in a dime sized area.
I can assure you some guys would laugh at that target because, "It was only at 50 yards". That's o.k. with me, I'd like to see anyone replicate that.

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,631 Posts
Its a shame somebody doesn't make match ammo for a .17. I have several CZ .22's that will out shoot my .17 at 50 yds. It shoots about like yours with anything I shoot in it.

Reactions: 270 Petload

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a shame somebody doesn't make match ammo for a .17. I have several CZ .22's that will out shoot my .17 at 50 yds. It shoots about like yours with anything I shoot in it.
I understand what you are saying about the CZ. Somehow it seems to me that CZ weapons, in any of their flavors, do not get the attention they deserve. I have several CZ's and am happy with all of them. When I mention CZ's to some guys they don't know what I am talking about. And if I say the CZ name and pronounce it correctly then, for sure, they have never heard about it. The way the name is spelled and the way it is pronounced are different. I also have a CZ in 17 HMR but I do not use it anymore since I have transferred it to my my grandson who loves to shoot it. With a little more concentration on tactical breathing he will develop into an excellent marksman. My holy grail would be to shoot that same 10 shot group at 100 yards instead of 50; for that I need goldilocks ammo for my 1885 Low Wall. Again, it's a shame that nobody is making match ammo for the 17 HMR. I would even be willing to experiment with hand loading for the 17 HMR but, as far as I know, nobody is making components for the 17 HMR rimfire. Maybe someday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts