The Firearms Forum banner

Best Ammo.....Not that weak Target crud

5K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  thomas44 
#1 ·
LIKTOSHOOT
*TFF Senior Staff*
(7/26/02 9:27:48 pm)
Reply Best Ammo.....Not that weak Target crud
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I`m getting ready to stretch the envelope in rimfire. I have just finished up tuning my excellent conditioned Mossberg US44, with it`s heavy 26" tube. Barrel has been, never mind....ain`t giving up all my secrets.

Solids or HP`s

Looking at going 150 yards, just for fun. Any ideas???
No wind area. Thanks LTS

Tac401
Administrator
(7/26/02 10:11:50 pm)
ezSupporter
Re: Best Ammo.....Not that weak Target crud
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like Win Super-X HP's!
TFF VMBB Email Tac

Smoky14
V.I.P. Member
(7/27/02 9:06:25 am)
Reply Re: Best Ammo.....Not that weak Target crud
Try CCI Stingers

They be FAST

AntiqueDr
*TFF Senior Staff*
(7/27/02 9:21:13 am)
ezSupporter
For distance with oomph, cant beat the Aguila Super Sniper.
We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
www.apaxenterprises.com
Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

LIKTOSHOOT
*TFF Senior Staff*
(7/27/02 11:09:03 am)
Reply Re: Best Ammo.....Not that weak Target crud
Doc, those aren`t the sixty grainers are they???
If so, they won`t work...without their barrel, the twist rate is way off. Tried them in my Romanian and they keyholed at fifty yards. LTS

Tac401
Administrator
(7/27/02 12:09:17 pm)
ezSupporter
I tried those in my NAA mini revolver just for kicks
and the round bounced off the log I had the target
attached to and dropped to the ground!
TFF VMBB Email Tac

AntiqueDr
*TFF Senior Staff*
(7/27/02 4:25:53 pm)
ezSupporter
Yep, those are the 60gr loads. I've only shot them in a stock 10-22 but they seemed to do OK.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
www.apaxenterprises.com
Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

mad5757
(7/27/02 6:31:50 pm)
Reply Long Distance target crud
I'll easilly spank ya` at 200 yards and I use Eley Target crud. Seriously, we shoot half size sillhouette out to 200 meters and high velocity ammo is never competitive. We shoot chickens at 200 meters for tiebreaker shoot-offs. All this is with iron sights.
Mad`

LIKTOSHOOT
*TFF Senior Staff*
(7/27/02 10:00:33 pm)
Reply Re: Long Distance target crud
I am shooting a much smaller target, than half sills. or chickens. I`m not mortar launchin. I have also had great success with hyper .22`s, unlike your experience`s. Thanks anyway, though. LTS

mad5757
(7/28/02 12:04:30 am)
Reply 200 meters
We shoot sils about the size of a baseball at 200 meters(with iron sights). In order to hit all ten in a string of fire you must have a 10 shot group smaller than a baseball. Yep, we hit 10 in a row often. Nobody uses high velocity ammo.
Good luck with your experiment, but others have already been there and done that. We learned the hard way too, so have at it.
Mad`

LIKTOSHOOT
*TFF Senior Staff*
(7/28/02 9:17:05 am)
Reply Re: 200 meters
Must be rookie .22ers.....

wundudnee
(7/28/02 2:23:49 pm)
200 meters=650 feet, two+ football fields, size of a baseball, 10 hits, iron sights, low velocity ammo. Man, I love the internet.HEHEHE,HAHAHA,HOHOHO I can find out how inadequate I am everyday.LOL

LIKTOSHOOT,
I have a factory scoped Winchester 63 and have to use super x or super speed. I can't shoot near as good as I could when I was a children but I get by with the super x.

LIKTOSHOOT
*TFF Senior Staff*
(7/28/02 3:18:58 pm)
Well thanks....I too am impressed each day buy long shots....even if ya kain`t see the target.

I`m asking, as above. Solids or HP`s.
Use WSX in some of my 10/22`s but shoot HP`s and very few solids. Had some Remington Vipers (trunicated) when they worked, they were great....unfortunatley they would shoot hot, then just pop, then slightly higher velocities...bad quality control and some never even fired.

mad5757
(7/28/02 4:51:00 pm)
Reply If you ladies are non-believers,
or just 10-22 wannabe shooters, come try our game. The Nationals are at Raton all next week and BPCR .22 sillhouette is one of the shoots going on. Or you can check out the Okla. City Gun Club site if you wish. It doesn't take an exceptional shooter to compete but you MUST have the right equipment and ammo.
Good luck with your high velocity crud. Mad`

members.cox.net/okc.gunclub/index.html

LIKTOSHOOT
*TFF Senior Staff*
(8/1/02 9:01:23 am)
Reply Re: If you ladies are non-believers,
Just how big is a softball at 200 yards, viewed with the neckid eye???? LTS

warpig883
*TFF Staff*
(8/1/02 8:27:49 pm)
ezSupporter
Re: If you ladies are non-believers,
I been shootin' golf balls at 300 with my Buckmark

BetaOp9
(8/5/02 12:00:29 pm)
Reply Meep
Personally i use CCI Stingers and find them to work great.

Tac401
Administrator
(8/5/02 2:24:14 pm)
ezSupporter
Re: Meep
I like Stingers too but mostly for personal back up protection,
I did quite a bit of unofficial testing with them back in the late
70's and the expansion/mushroom and weight retention was
excellent when reviewing the results, but keeping in mind
that the test guns used were a Ruger 10/22 and a S&W
Mod. 34, I found accuracy to be ok but not as good as
the Winchester Super-X H.P.'s however, the Win. SX also
didn't expand or hold the weight retention that the Stingers
did from what I found.
TFF VMBB Email Tac

LIKTOSHOOT
*TFF Senior Staff*
(8/5/02 2:36:26 pm)
Reply Re: Meep
I can tell you one thing about stingers......no shootum squirrel under 50 yards with one. LTS

Vibe77
(8/5/02 9:00:33 pm)
LTS

Anf ain't too likely to hit one with em much past 50 yards. I'll stick with my Federals and PMC Target. At least I know where it will hit...all the way out past 80 yards. I don't take many shots past that anyway.

Elite Sniper Squad
(10/15/02 9:20:42 pm)
Reply base ball at two hundred yards
about the size of a fly on the wall across the room

kdub01
*TFF Senior Staff*
(10/15/02 9:44:25 pm)
Reply Re: base ball at two hundred yards
Welcome, ESS -

Don't be a stranger here on the boards - as you can see, the conversations can take more turns than an Arkansas Ozark country road!

LTS - Why don't you just break out the 60mm mortar and lob a few out there? Should have about the same accuracy!
"Keep Off The Ridgeline"

ibtrukn
V.I.P. Member
(10/16/02 12:17:59 pm)
HOT DAM!!! This almost as good as .....well U no.....lemme see ...the holdover at 1000 on a WHITETAIL DEER is ahh hhhmmmm LTS what WAS that agin?? Yar 2/3hunnert wit irons... ok

LIKTOSHOOT
*TFF Senior Staff*
(10/16/02 12:24:59 pm)
57 FEETS big boy, write it down!! It`s important!!

Crpdeth
V.I.P. Member
(10/16/02 7:06:21 pm)
ezSupporter
Re: base ball at two hundred yards
ESS: Welcome!

Kick your shoes off...stay awhile.

shooter22
*TFF Staff*
(10/16/02 7:33:04 pm)
I tested the Eley target, Eley subsonic, and the CCI volecitor and had great groups with all three. I usually hunt with the subsonics, but may be changing to the CCI. Now, I have never been a fan of the fast inaccurate CCI's, but these seem to shoot great and group tightly.
Hey, Bin Lauden, our women can kick you butt!

Elite Sniper Squad
(10/29/02 8:19:20 pm)
Reply thanks
thanks for the welcome

yuppiejr
(11/20/02 12:15:37 am)
Reply Ammo suggestions
My two suggestions for affordable/accurate ammo...

Winchester Dynapoints, $12.99 per 500 bulk pack stuff at K-mart that is relatively easy to find and not much more than the cheapie bulk pack stuff out there. It seemed to perform well in my Ruger 10/22 and various american-made rifles I borrowed to test it in.

Wolf Match Target - bar none the best value in .22 rimfire target/plinker ammo out there IF you can find it. I paid around $15 per brick and have been blown away by the accuracy and consistenty of this ammunition particularly at longer ranges. Seems to be particularly well suited to the tight barrel in my CZ-452 and is all I practice/plink with in the rifle after exhaustive sub $25/brick ammo testing.

LED POYZEN
(12/4/02 3:57:51 pm)
Reply fly on the wall
That fly doesn't happen to have little red boots, been looking for him.........

LIKTOSHOOT
*TFF Senior Staff*
(12/4/02 6:35:18 pm)
Reply Re: fly on the wall
....he don`t need no boots....he`s got feets???????

riderbob
(12/20/02 10:36:26 am)
LTS do the squirrls" done blowed up real good?" I have used the stingers for years around here shooting rock chucks and skunks and other pesky varmints. They seem to be great stoppers. I can't wait to see how they work in my new project gun. The guys @ whistle pig said that they have modified their chamber to shoot the stingers. I new thought that shooting .22's would take about the same time as finding the most accurate load for centerfire. But hey a great way to kill time around here in the winter.

Rider

Devin and his Ruger
(1/11/03 11:12:35 pm)
It's too bad that I dropped so much money on a brick of fed gold medal match. Jammed my 10\22 the second shot. 7.50 for a box of 50. Thought they would shoot the rifle for me. My mossberg shoots those fed. solid gold crap extremely well unfortunately. Ohh well, and as for the best load I have come across it has to be cruddy CCI mini mags. Probably different for everyone and every gun.

Devin

1chessman
(1/16/03 11:27:35 pm)
Reply You just nailed it
I believe in letting the gun decide what it wants to eat. What works good for one, might not be worth a crap in another.

As for velocity, I am reminded of an old addage, used in different context, but still applicable: You can't miss fast enough to win.

I shoot the most accurate ammo I can feed my firearm, and make up the difference with shot placement. I hunt squirrels with RWS R-50, because my anschutz loves the stuff. The squirrels don't know the difference betwen that and the CCI stingers I shoot out of my old remington. Dead is dead. Don't knock the power of a subsonic round. I shot and killed a mature prairie dog at just over 200 yards with that RWS with five of my best friends laughing at me for doing it. All you have to do is shoot them through the eye!

Mauser45
(1/17/03 8:20:13 am)
ezSupporter
Re: base ball at two hundred yards
LTS, Are you talking about hunting, or long range paper punching? The most accurate 22 ammo that I've used so far is the Federal Gold Medal Target. I've shot this stuff out of several rifles and I am close to being convinced that if a rifle won't shoot good with this ammo,you better get rid of the gun! I'm not refering to the olympic grade ammo. I ain't paying $10.00 a box. At our local club we used to order cases of CCI standard velocity ammo for our silhouette matches and it shot very well in most rifles. Winchester Super X hollow-points have a good reputation for accuracy. I always use CCI Mini-Mag HP's for small game but I have never gotten what could be considered competition accuracy from them. I have to go along with some of the other people who have responded. Most of the time you will get the best accuracy from standard velocity ammo. I have never gotten good results from Remington ammo and won't waste my time shooting it.

See less See more
#3 ·
Not sure if you can still find it, but CCI used to make aSGB .22 - I think that stood for "Small Game Bullet" - shot well in my 10/22. Standard velocity rules in my 10/22 - it doesn't shot groups, more like patterns, with Stingers or any hypervelocity stuff.

I diito the other post about finding what it likes - my 10/22 likes the cheap Blaser stuff for just messing around and Eley 10x for serious groups.

#5 ·
Wolf Match ammunition is currently hard to find, and when found is going for $39+/brick. My supplier of shooting supplies, Champion Shooters Supply 1-800-821-4867 EST, sold me the following as a replacement for the Wolf Match, as Champion commented that this scource is the MANUFACTURER for the Wolf ammo--22LR.

Schonebeck/elbe www.lapua-gmbh.de Germany

The ammo is packed in 50ct plastic tray in a gold box, and marked "standard plus" universal practice cartrigde, high precision, high action safety

Champion's sales price in Nov. '06 was $27/500 plus shipping
www.ChampionShooters.com

#7 · (Edited)
#9 ·
"200 meters=650 feet, two+ football fields, size of a baseball, 10 hits, iron sights, low velocity ammo. Man, I love the internet.HEHEHE,HAHAHA,HOHOHO I can find out how inadequate I am everyday.LOL"

A laugh a minute and better than reality TV LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.