The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a friend that has $2500 to spend on an AR. He's looking for something that will be an heirloom but also a shooter.

If you had this amount to spend what would you get? I'm gonna send him a link to this thread so that he can see the replies.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Best AR for $2500

Optics don't need to be included in the price; just looking for a finished rifle with iron sights that he can put optics on later if he would like.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I would say wait 6-8 months or more for the prices to come down and manufacturers to catch up some.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok good tip on the waiting, but I doubt he will want to.

So.... can you give me some ideas for $2500 in value 6 mo from now, or say a good buy at todays' prices in the $3-4k range?

·
Super Moderator
41,364 Posts
I will sell him my unfired Colt Government Model A2, and he can keep $500 for ammo!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Ok good tip on the waiting, but I doubt he will want to.

So.... can you give me some ideas for $2500 in value 6 mo from now, or say a good buy at todays' prices in the $3-4k range?
IMHO, there are very few ,if any, "good buys at todays prices in the $3-4 k range". I feel a purchase of $2500 today will only be worth $1500-$1800 in 6 months. Does not sound to be a good investment for your(or your freinds) money.
BUTT, then agian, It is your money!

·
Premium Member
13,251 Posts
IMHO,I feel a purchase of $2500 today will only be worth $1500-$1800 in 6 months.
Saw that happen in the run up to the first AWB. Also saw a lot of buyer's remorse once things settled down and prices, though higher than original retails, drifted back into the sensible range and remained there.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My friend lives in Chicago and his dad offered to buy him "an assault rifle". Both these guys are well to do so I don't think they will be hurting if their investment looses value initially. He has inherited a fine collection of above average weapons and he would like to add to it. He would also like to get something before the laws change in the Peoples Republic of Illinois.

Sooo don't worry about them losing value as I'm sure they will. It's their money and they have plenty so if you know some above average AR's I would surely appreciate some names so I have something to give him. I know Jack Squat about AR's so I'm a poor resource other than through the expertise of this forum.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Prices have come down considerably. Many 800.00 ARs that were selling for 1500-1800 on the auction sites, are now down to 1000-1100. So, they are still over priced but not way over priced. I have been seeing lowers for 150-180 now and things are changing. So, that being said, 2500 should get you a nice AR.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I have that much or more in each of my AR's when you include optics and mount and few needed extra like back up iron sights, light, sling...soon it goes way past $2500. Night vision for one of them...oh yea.:D

But just the AR, the best for that money would be KAC (Knight's) or LaRue. Both are at the top of the list.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
for the money i would buy an a2 flat top colt.the prices are up and down but i feel the colt will hold more value.if someone was in the market and did not know much about guns i guarantee you they will have heard of colt.now i had two a2 flat tops in stainless steel and bull barrels that i out shot with a olympic arms at one hundred yards.this was shooting at orange golf balls with peep sights.the olympic at that time was one third the price of a colt.i have heard that the few ar type rifles out there are at a premium so dont be shocked at the sticker price. old semperfi

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Colt would probably be my top choice just because everyone knows who Colt is but I love my Sig Sauer M400 too. $2500 would get either one easily, even in todays market.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Prices have come down considerably. Many 800.00 ARs that were selling for 1500-1800 on the auction sites, are now down to 1000-1100. So, they are still over priced but not way over priced. I have been seeing lowers for 150-180 now and things are changing. So, that being said, 2500 should get you a nice AR.
EXCUSE me, but where are you seeing AR lowers???:confused::confused::eek::eek:

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
I just seen a dozen stripped lowers this afternoon at the LGS, $137 apiece. After chatting with the guy behind the counter he said they'll have another two dozen in next week.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
They arent on every page but if you will watch the auction sites, you will find them, I saw several today. I saw several lowers with adj stocks on them for 249.00 you gotta be looking...things are changing. I just got a nice new Bushmaster 20" XM-15 E2S with case, sling, mag for a grand.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts