The Firearms Forum banner

Best " BIG " long range weapon for the money ?

4K views 0 replies 0 participants last post by  warpig 
G
#1 ·
loader44
(10/4/01 7:18:54 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Best " BIG " long range weapon for the money ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK everybody , need your input. Looking for the BEST long range weapon for the money. Christmas is comming up soon, my wife is not real happy about me getting a 50 bmg " cost so much " ( $3800.00 ). SOOOOO, is there anything that compares to the 50 in distance and killing power for less money that I can still reload at a decent price. Could you guys come thru for me on this , PLEASE. Thanks, loader44 ( Eric ).

Xracer
(10/5/01 7:45:55 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Best " BIG " long range weapon for the money ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You'll have to define "Big" and "Long Range". If "Big" is 50 cal. or larger and "Long Range" is 1500-2000 yards, the answer is NO.

If "Big" is .30-40 cal. and "Long Range" is 1000 yards, there are lots of choices.

loader44
(10/5/01 7:01:38 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del long range weapons
Xracer, Yes, 30 - 40 cal and up to a 1000yrds would be fine. Just want something that is accurate and that I can reload. So I can continue to have fun with. Going to the range ONCE a month is BOOOOORRRRRIIIIINNNNGGGGG, if I can reload my wife lets me go more often, and she can come to. SO, a few suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks. loader44.

LIKTOSHOOT
Senior Chief Moderator Staff
(10/5/01 7:09:19 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: long range weapons
America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

polishshooter
(10/6/01 8:54:12 am)
Yeah, LTS, where did I just see the new "scaled down" .50 BMG rifle in .338 Lapua Mag I think...in a magazine or something.

It looked just like a .50 BA BMG, with a decent muzzlebreak and everything, and if I remember right, it was designed for 1000+...a "Poor man's BMG..." for about half price.

Was it in SGN? Or the Rifleman....Crap, now I gotta start digging to find it...
I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN...

LIKTOSHOOT
(10/6/01 9:43:37 am)
The .338LM is used in the Mauser actions and Springfield sells them. They are long range sniper rifles used overseas and here. They are heavy and sport a large muzzle break to tame the massive recoil, they will reach out there. LTS
America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

loader44
(10/7/01 6:29:43 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del 338
OK, fellas, tell me more about this 338, where might I find more information on this thing, If I can pick one up for less than 2000.00, I think my wife would go for it. thanks guys, loader44.

Bob In St Louis
(10/7/01 8:19:32 pm)
That is what the moron up in Alaska shot the Transcontinental Pipeline with - a .338. Lots of oil spewed all over the place.

I've read something on these rifles too - I believe they do run a tad cheaper than your 50 cals.
Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

polishshooter
(10/7/01 9:34:25 pm)
Loader...

October 2001 American Rifleman, that's where the article is I was talking about...

It's the new AR-30 by Armalite, looks like a scaled down 5 shot BA .50 BMG, in .338 Lapua Magnum.

$1180.00 suggested retail, should make you and your wife happy...

Looks pretty cool too.

Now I hope that means that you get the American Hunter with your NRA membership instead of the Rifleman which is why you haven't seen it...I'll even buy the fact you were too busy to read your Rifleman this month.

BUT...

If by chance you are NOT an NRA member, the price of the gun is now $1215.00 because you ARE going to send in your $35 FIRST to join the NRA. PERIOD.

ANYBODY on this forum that is NOT an NRA member needs to be. IMMEDIATELY.

Put your money where your mouth is, consider it your "license" to own a gun, ANY gun. IF you don't belong, then soon you will be paying somebody ELSE for that license, like the government, and it will only be a "temporary" one....

Edited by: polishshooter at: 10/8/01 1:13:03 am

warpig883
V.I.P. Member
(10/8/01 10:59:01 am)
What about that Ferret 50? It is under $1500.00.
Don't mind me, I am a blithering idiot:)

Edited by: warpig883 at: 10/8/01 5:46:45 pm

polishshooter
(10/8/01 12:32:06 pm)
Pig, I think Loader also wanted something he could "reload at a reasonable price..."

Even reloading the .50 BMG ain't cheap....

loader44
(10/8/01 6:01:06 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del 338
Polishshooter, Yes , I am a member of the NRA, and I get the American Hunter mag. not the rifle mag. but the mail is so slow around here, I usually get my stuff about 2 month behind.I'll go out and buy the other mag tommarrow, if I can find one. And YES, I do need to be able to reload it if I buy one, or my wife will CUT MY OTHER NUT OFF. Thanks you guys for the information . loader44.
P.S. I have another question , my father was a life member of the NRA, found his membership card the other day, DATED :1963, COST :100.00 . How about them apples, is he still a member. I know, stupid question. loader44.

polishshooter
(10/8/01 9:06:20 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: 338
Loader, since you are a member, you ought to be able to get a reprint of the article from the NRA...if not, try the local library.

$100? Geez...and he probably bought a DCM 1911A1 AND a Garand at the same time for another $100...

loader44
(10/9/01 6:35:28 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del big gun
polishshooter, unfortunately, when my biological mother divorce my father in 1973, she sold or gave away most of my father collection, about 100 weapons in all. Some of them today would send BOTH of kids to M.I.T. with money to spair for brand new cars, and I would not have to work anymore. One in peticular, was a rifle my father had hand made in England, for BIG GAME HUNTING, in Africa, The cost then, 1951, $600.00. My father found the guy my mother sold this weapon to in 1975, he would'nt take less than $10,000 for it then, what do you think its worth now ? I know I don't know what kind of weapon it is, but still , the thought of owning something like that. oh well. Talk to you guys later. loader44.

polishshooter
(10/10/01 12:06:23 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: big gun
Divorce and gun collections are a BAD mix, unless you happen to be the one buying!

hammer4nc
V.I.P. Member
(10/19/01 9:52:30 pm)
Big....you guys forget about the Solothurn and Lahti 20mm guns, of "Henry Bowman" fame? Could buy cheap surplus from the back of gun magazines, until the early 60's? Aaaaah, those were the days! Sorry, just dreaming about what could (and should) be possible today....

Xracer
(10/20/01 9:16:36 am)
Well hell....if you want BIG, and accurate..... www.warships1.com/Weapons...50_mk7.htm ....but I doubt if it's cheap.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.