The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a very wide ranged question but I am looking to get a new revolver soon and am not set on a brand, caliber or size. I will be useing this revolver mainly for home defense and target shooting. I know there is alot of guys on here with more knowledge about guns than me, this is why I'm looking for your opinions and explanations of why.

Thanks ahead of time...

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I would first ask what calibers you already own. I know you're ok with Rugers, as am I. As you stated, a wide ranged question. My first answer would be to check out the .327, I'm a big fan of the caliber and the SP101. Easy to reload and cost friendly if you're a reloader. Not so cost friendly if you buy factory though.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
For a first time purchase for the above reasons, my choice would be a Smith and Wesson or a Ruger .357 Magnum. This gun can handle full power .357 Mag loads or it can be fed lower powered .38 Special loads for practice and for familiarization with the handling of the gun. These can either in Stainless Steel or Blued finish, barrel lengths of either 4" or 6" would again work for the reasons you mentioned. The 4" gun would a little handier, but the 6" gun gives you a longer sight radius. The S-W can be had in 6,7,or 8 shot configurations. The Ruger as far as I know, only holds 6 shots in the cylinder. Taurus also make revolvers similar to the S-W and Ruger at a slightly reduced price to the others, and like the S-W can be had in 6 or 7 shot configuration also.

·
Registered
376 Posts
There are many brands out there and you just have to choose what you like best. I too would suggest a 357 that will easily shoot 38's. If it is not going to be a carry piece, then a 4" barrel or longer can help with accuracy (sight radius) and gives the bullet a little more speed and energy. Smith and Wesson and Ruger would be my first choices. However if money is tight and you aren't going to shoot the heck out of the gun, Taurus, Charter Arms, and several others will do well for you. Only you can make that decision.

·
Super Moderator
44,908 Posts
Since your user name is RugerUser, you already know the answer to what brand but I can't tell you what caliber, it is according to what you like.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I like revolvers and currently have a ruger single six new model, a bearcat and I have an old taurus model 82 .38 speacial. I am looking to get another revolver soon and don't know what I want so I was just looking for opinions...

·
Registered
20 Posts
older model..meaning pre*lock..'smith 686.Find one,handle it,ask to dry fire it.You will have just handled the crream of the crop.And you won't be breaking the bank like u will if u happen to handel an old Royal blue Colt Python.lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
My old S&W model 10 with 4" heavy barrel is extremely accurate. It's just crazy. I got it used for $200 and it outshoots all my other revolvers. It outshoots my newer light barreled model 10 too.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
based on your username, I also would advocate an SP101 or a GP100 depending on what size you want. (.357 cal) if you want a bigger bang, get a redhawk.

S&W and Ruger are about the only wheelguns I care to own.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Smith and Wesson and Ruger would be my first choices the Colts like the pythons have gotten way to expensive if your looking at the Rugers don't forget about the security six or speed six

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Well I like revolvers and currently have a ruger single six new model, a bearcat and I have an old taurus model 82 .38 speacial. I am looking to get another revolver soon and don't know what I want so I was just looking for opinions...
I also like Ruger. My fav is the .41 mag Blackhawk. Good for hunting also. I know a lot of folks that think ammo is hard to find and expensive ( it is pricey), but a lot more has come available in the last year or so. BuffaloBore has some good ammo for it. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=18

·
Premium Member
13,000 Posts
I also like Ruger. My fav is the .41 mag Blackhawk. Good for hunting also. I know a lot of folks that think ammo is hard to find and expensive ( it is pricey), but a lot more has come available in the last year or so. BuffaloBore has some good ammo for it. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=18

You too? My primary hog hunting gun for many years was my ruger blackhawk 41mag. I wouldnt leave home without it. I havent hunted in several years but if I were to go back in the field, I would take my 41mag.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
DD; yeah me two. :) Good ballistics, easy to handle. I had to switch out the stock grips as you can see, to reduce felt recoil and get better control.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
.41 is a fantastic caliber, it never gained popularity as the .44 mag came out around the same time.

There's a large gap between .357 and .44 that is only filled with the .41 mag; I've also seen more ammo available lately for it.

·
Premium Member
13,000 Posts
DD; yeah me two. :) Good ballistics, easy to handle. I had to switch out the stock grips as you can see, to reduce felt recoil and get better control.
Yea, I put some hogue grips on mine. I have had it since the early 80s.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yea, I put some hogue grips on mine. I have had it since the early 80s.
Bought mine in 2000, right after I retired. Probably haven't put but a couple hundred rnds thru it. If I shot more, it would be worth it to get a reloading set up. About $1.75 retail every time I pull the trigger. Splurged 40 rds last Turkey day when some relatives came down, and we went out back to shoot each others guns. Lot's of fun, but expensive. :eek: Probably burned up about $300 between the 4 of us and a dozen handguns, rifles and shotties, including a little BP. :D

·
Registered
437 Posts

You mean like one of these.

I like me some 41 mag. Woods carry is either the Blackhawk or my model 57 Smith.

Too the OP if you can find you one of the Redhawks in 41 you will love it, also keep your eye out for a Security Six if you want to stay with 38/357, they are built like tanks and accurate as all get out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts