The Firearms Forum banner

BEST CONCEALED CARRY

13K views 72 replies 30 participants last post by  LimaCharlie 
#1 ·
In your opinions, (talking to everyone) What is the best concealed carry gun and why? And for you open carriers, what is the best gun for this situation in your opinions and why?

#2 ·
That is a question that has almost as many answers as individuals on this forum. Aside from finding something that is good quality, a suitable caliber for self defense and a GOOD holster to carry it, each answer is relative to the individual. Some people like to carry full sized guns. Others like small “pocket pistols.” Some like revolvers and others are partial to semi automatics. Some like double action while others prefer to carry a single action “cocked and locked.”

The only way you can find the BEST carry gun is to try out several in a local gun shop and pic the one that is best for YOU. There is no “one size fits all” when it comes to carry guns.

#13 ·
The best one is the one I carry.
Guess I'm one of those 'Lest experienced shooters'. Been carrying a 38 for over 50 years. Have admit I've downsized last 30 or so years to Rossi 38Spl 88 revolver, save weight but still good carry.
Here I thought I'd done all this thunking, testing, experimenting and all mathematical angles that I have the "best" one by far!

#7 ·
Depends on what I'm doing or where I'm going to be. Yesterday it was nothing. Never left the house. Day before it was my Freedom Arms Mod. 97 in 45 Colt. Today it's a Bersa 380 Thunder because I went to town early this morning and never "changed guns". Last week for a couple days I carried my S&W 696. The week before I carried a CZ-82 or 83 almost all week, the 9mm Mak., (I have both and NEVER can keep them straight!!!). Weather is going to be nicer tomorrow and I'll be outside close to all day and I'm simply due to carry my Colt, 3rd Gen in 45 Colt. There's others that occasionally get the call as well; a 1911, a Mod. 36 S&W, a CZ-50.....just depends.

Why? Because one of those best fit the circumstances at hand....and I like them. The SAA's are generally open carried but I wouldn't feel handicapped carrying one concealed. I've worked with SAA revolvers for almost 50 years, I'm exceedingly comfortable with one.

#14 ·
DBCooper, I think I remember someone up north with one also...
As to the original poster, I carry different summer vs. winter...ymmv

#17 ·
It also changes with age. Years ago a full size 1911 was no problem and barely noticed. Today I can tell the difference between an 11 oz pocket .380, a 16 oz snub .38 or a 19 oz 3" .44 Special Bulldog. A double stack needs a good belt and maybe even good suspenders for this older frame to carry around as does the old 1911 or a full size revolver.

The most dangerous place I may venture into lately is probably a Wal-Mart. Never know what might happen there.

I do tend to like the small frame revolvers though. They are light, come to the hand readily, point naturally, can be a floater, are excellent for when someone may be right on top of you and I learned to shoot double action years ago during our bowling pin matches. Even my double stack is double action only. For a carry gun I didn't want a trigger like on my competition or range guns. I wanted something that required a more deliberate pull for the time when all that manual dexterity we are accustomed to is no longer present.

#20 ·
Where are you going...what are you doing???..If I'm running up to get some gas up the road,I throw my .38 in pocket......if I'm going to 1 of our 3rd world craphole major cities--AR pistol/custom Glock with lots of mags....Church-my church gun 1911 in horiz shoulder holster......normal everday-hicap 9mm w/mags...every day or situation requires a different tool....no matter what though there's always a .380 Keltec somewhere.

#23 ·
Not at all Trumpster...you asked...lol! I like variety and, when I'm at home what I like to carry in the woods and around the place is different from what makes sense when I have to go to town and what I feel is different if I have to go to the cess pool of a city. I almost always have a big bore revolver on me around home and if I'm headed for the woods to cut firewood or just enjoy a walk in the woods I generally carry a drilling or combination gun as well.

#27 · (Edited)
CC - 5shot 38spl revolver

Exposed - 1911 std, 4in bulldog 44spl, SAA in 357/45LC, 5in 357mag, or 6in 44mag (high cap 9mm full size 5in) for handguns or any slung cf rifle or shotgun w/ gost ring or low power optics.

Whys:
CC - small, safe, simple, reliable, deadly, and do not carry any extra rounds on your person. The purpose is to stop as a last or only option or to get you to cover/safety and nothing more.

Exposed - carry what you want but make sure it is powerful enough to get the job done in the setting you are in (i.e. a handgun is not very effective in open country). Barrels should be long enough for the cartridges being used. Carry extra rounds. Body armor suggested. The offender will know you are armed and try to take you out from a distance or from behind or with over powering numbers.

The above is for defense only and not offense as in a military engagement.

#28 ·
I've tried a few small semi-autos in 9mm and .380 and have settled on a Springfield 911 in .380 (they've since come out with the 911 in 9mm also, but haven't had my hands on one). I like the lighter weight and size of the 911 primarily because of my big belly. I use an IWB holster and appendix carry. I had a 9mm in Remington R51 (after they fixed them), but I traded it in for the 911 when I discovered it only had a grip safety. Given the location I was going to carry it I wanted a manual, lever type safety!;)

Reactions: ms6852
#30 ·
This is going to go all over the place lol
For me it's a 365XL. Its perfect for me and if I have pants on and a wallet I have it on me. Sub compact, but I can shoot it like a compact. I carried a 9mm M&p shield for a few years before the 365Xl came out.

Get what you like that you shoot well. Be realistic and get something that is comfortable to carry everyday. A full size is great to shoot but useless if you only carry it half the time. For me personally I carry the same EDC every day. I do not change guns, holsters, flashlight, ect, like they are shoes or a watch. Think muscle memory. If some days you have a .380 in your pocket, but in the winter you have a 1911 on your hip, but the other days you have a subcompact IWB. Chances are pretty good under stress you are much more likely to fudge up. Just my opinion.

#37 ·
I do not change guns, holsters, flashlight, ect, like they are shoes or a watch. Think muscle memory. If some days you have a .380 in your pocket, but in the winter you have a 1911 on your hip, but the other days you have a subcompact IWB. Chances are pretty good under stress you are much more likely to fudge up. Just my opinion.
I don't believe that for a minute....not after over 50 years working with handguns.

Reactions: crystalphoto
#39 ·
When the outside temperature permits, I can't imagine anything being more close at hand at a moments notice or when surprised by an attacker than a small snub in a jacket pocket that your hand already has a firing grip on. No safety to remember to disengage, shirt to pull up, no holster to try and remember if it is cross draw or at 1,3 or 4 o'clock, and no pants pocket to go fishing in. Even if your hand is not on it, no auto seems to come to the hand as readily as a small revolver with a grip you are comfortable and used to. A pocket .380 is just not that quick and effortless for me even though I like it in a pocket at certain times.

#40 ·
I agree with you 100%.

Never have to worry over: did I chamber a round or did I clear it properly, is it going to stove pipe when I need it most, does the mag have a lent ball in it or ammo issue, if it is not a double action only will I have time to rock the action or is the safety off/on etc...

Used a lcp2 and a curve for a while and always had that little thought of doubt on my mind. Confidence level is always 100% with a revolver and ammo selection/function is never an issue.

#42 ·
A Ruger mark 3 with all the volquartsen internals and all the safety crap removed. Yes i know it is a 22 lr but I can tell you this. In self defense nothing more than a 22 lr is needed. In a survival situation you can carry many loaded clips and they won't weigh squat. A Ruger mark 3 can easily be shot 100 yards accurately. So that's my take on it. Here comes all the criticism.

#48 ·
.22LR has dropped a lot of people and I love all my .22 caliber guns. However, given the .22's propensity to misfire, I would go with a DA revolver over a semi auto for self defense. If it misfires, just pull the trigger again. No time out for clearing dud rounds.

Here's my carry revolver for today. Unless I have to go to town then I might change guns.,

View attachment 247875
What IS that beautiful beasty?? :love:

#43 ·
What's to criticize? That's your choice and if you're happy, what anyone else thinks doesn't mean squat. I can hear the wheels turning about my SA revolver choice and comfort level. No one can possibly know how little I care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.