The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a savage axis 22 250 with a 1/10" barrel, and a barska ridgeline 4-16X44mm scope, i shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with 55 grain ammo, and about 1" groups with 60 grain, but i also need to be able to drop a hog or deer at least at 100 yards

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
1" groups at 100 is more than accurate enough to drop a deer or hog.

Maybe I'm just not seeing the problem that you are.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I would be more concerned with terminal bullet performance than accuracy when choosing the .22-250 for use on deer and hogs.
Most bullets in the 55gr and under weights are rather light construction and at .22-250 velocities they do not penetrate medium size game very well. They're designed more with varmints and furbearers than deer sized critter.

I started deer hunting with a .22-250 and did use it successfully (I should say luckily) for a half dozen years. After tracking a wounded deer from a botched shot I decided it was time to upsize a bit and I switched to the .243.
Shot placement is critical to getting a good clean kill. If you clip a bone on the way in, the bullet will fragment and won't get into the vitals to drop a deer. Same goes for a shoulder shot...a 55gr won't break the shoulder bone to anchor the animal.

If you're set on using that caliber, I would go with either a 60gr conventional bullet or check into some of the premium bullets on the market like the Barnes 55gr, or 62gr TSX or TTSX bullets.

I don't know specifically what the twist is in the Savage barrel is...
Out of the .22-250 (typically a 1:14" twist), you usually start to see accuracy dropping off when going above 55gr due to the twist being a little too slow for the heavier(longer) bullets.
But...if you're getting 1" groups with 60gr loads then I wouldn't worry about the 60gr in your rifle.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Use a good bullet like a TSX and roll wit it. If you can hold MOA you will drop hogs or deer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts