The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are considering adding video surveillance on our property. Today, everything is tied into Amazon when you look for reviews on any product.

Anyone with experience or advice on this would be appreciated.

Not sure I want a system that ties into the cloud. My Son in law is an IT guy so I could probably get my own server set up and keep it local without Big Brother watching with us.

Thank you in advance.

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
I have a few trail cams around our place . They work good enough but have to keep watch to make sure that little card (sim card???) does not fill up and also making sure batteries stay good . We have been debating about getting a camera set up were can check it out off your computer for easier use . Will be watching this to see myself on recommendations !!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
My wife and I have been considering a surveillance system ourselves. We have been looking at the SimpliSafe system for the house as well as some others, both wireless and hardwired. My biggest concern with the wireless system is that it may be easy to be hacked. We are just starting to delve into the world of surveillance systems, so I will be following this thread with interest. Best of luck in finding the right system for you and stay safe out there.

·
Premium Member
8,262 Posts
We heard about porch pirates in our area around Christmas, did some research because we didn’t want google or Amazon ties. So far we just have the doorbell but we can add more from Arlo. Not perfect but it does watch the Front door.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
There are a few things to consider when buying a system.
Wired or wireless ? A wired system uses cat five wire cable ( two wires for power and two for a signal and a ground )
Wireless dose not have a signal wire (2 ) but you have to have power so it is either battery pack ( pain in the a** ) or power cables. So it is not really wireless.
Never buy a kit , all you will get is low quality at a high price.
People will tell you to buy a great camera that is 720-tpi or 1080-tpi. Thats JUNK.
The cameras you want are 2-meg to 8-meg cameras. ( I use 4-meg cameras )
Remember, cameras are like light bulbs, they do burn out in time.
You should use a dvr and not reliy on the cloud. My dvrs record on to a hard drive -2 terabyte which is good for a month of recoring depending on how you set up your system.
One of the biggest mistakes people make is that they try to hide thier camers. I install camers so they stickout like a sore thumb because I want the scum bags to know there are cameras. ( makes people think twice about entering your property )
All camera systems can be shared with your cell phone and is usually free . This way you have access to your cameras from any where in the world. (cell or net )

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
I use a system from Vivint...probably made a blunder when I let them in my house...been lots of years now, not an easy company to get out from under...Simpysafe would be my preference, can't get out of their contract. Might try lawyer grandson to get me sprung from them...I do like the video display, and I have Nest doorbell and back yard. I certainly know when anyone either drives by or gets near the place, both front and back..

·
Registered
307 Posts
I use a Wyze system that I customized for our home.4 wireless outside cameras and 2 inside cameras and a door bell camera. The inside cameras and door bell are hard wired. They work pretty good. Outside cameras need recharged about every 3 months. I don't use the monthly fee feature that discriminates between a person and animal or what have you. Got great pics of wildlife.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My wife and I are considering adding video surveillance on our property. Today, everything is tied into Amazon when you look for reviews on any product.

Anyone with experience or advice on this would be appreciated.

Not sure I want a system that ties into the cloud. My Son in law is an IT guy so I could probably get my own server set up and keep it local without Big Brother watching with us.

Thank you in advance.

Peter
If you have some old phones and chargers then there are apps that will keep that phone recording 24/7 and will send 15 second clips to the phone ya actually use every time your old phone detects movement. Pretty sure the app is called Alfred or Albert or something like that but I used it to find out which of my dogs was sneaking and peeing on the floor. We caught her in 30 minutes.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,372 Posts
I have a wired Wisenet system at home and once it started working, it worked great. The problem is that they're all made in China, and the instructions are terrible. I use a router between the Internet and my internal network, and it has ports and services that must be enabled to allow traffic through. I couldn't find any way to identify which had to be enabled until I did quite a bit of research. Calling Tech Support was a waste of time, of course, since nobody speaks English. But the product is excellent, I must admit.

Since I switched Internet companies, though, I've had trouble viewing things from remote locations. I keep getting connection errors, as in "Network Connection is Unstable." This started when I switched to the Starlink system, and I'm hoping it will become more stable as the system of satellites grows.

·
11,830 Posts
I have a wired Wisenet system at home and once it started working, it worked great. The problem is that they're all made in China, and the instructions are terrible. I use a router between the Internet and my internal network, and it has ports and services that must be enabled to allow traffic through. I couldn't find any way to identify which had to be enabled until I did quite a bit of research. Calling Tech Support was a waste of time, of course, since nobody speaks English. But the product is excellent, I must admit.

Since I switched Internet companies, though, I've had trouble viewing things from remote locations. I keep getting connection errors, as in "Network Connection is Unstable." This started when I switched to the Starlink system, and I'm hoping it will become more stable as the system of satellites grows.
I have two routers, ATT and netgear69.
My internet is ATT, my netgear is connected to ATT via cat 5 cable through the attic.
Both have wifi, my netgear is dead center the house so all cameras, tv, iphones and everything go through netgear, if internet goes down everything still works through netgear via iphone while I am home because my phones work on netgear as well.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
SimplySafe is very anti-gun.
We bought Blink cameras and are very satisfied with them. They are battery-operated (2 lithium AA cells) and the batteries last for 2 years or you can use a USB adapter power supply. System is wireless and expandable for as far as you want to go. Easy to set up. Both indoor and outdoor cameras. Sends video to your phone. Audio,too-with 2 way communication.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I know it's not a fan favorite, but I installed a few Ring "Stick Up Cams" around my office that are solar powered and connect by wifi. Set me back a few hundo, but super easy install and good interface/alerts to my smart phone. It has helped me chase many undesirables away from my property after hours.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts