The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 1865 spencer carbine and a 1873 springfield trapdoor. Where is the best place to sell one of these old rifles? I realize its a niche market for a collector. Not getting much attention on armslist.com.

·
Premium Member
9,862 Posts
It all depends on where you live. Maybe you can cut a deal doing a consignment at an LGS but Lord don’t sell them to them without knowing the value. They’ll give you maybe half a guns value. There are online auctions. Heck, I’m betting someone here would make you an offer.

·
Super Moderator
39,828 Posts
Heck, I’m betting someone here would make you an offer.
You are absolutely right on that! I want a trapdoor so bad that I can taste it and that stimulating money is burning that proverbial hole!!

I recently picked up a 1865 spencer carbine and a 1873 springfield trapdoor. Where is the best place to sell one of these old rifles? I realize its a niche market for a collector. Not getting much attention on armslist.com.
You might want to post your guns over in the "Ask the Pros & What's it Worth" forum (with lots of pictures) to get an idea of what they might be worth.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Armslist is definitely not the place for collectibles. I'd have an interest in the Spencer, depending on the condition. Do as gd said, take several good pictures and, NOT JUST BITS AND PIECES. Top, bottom and both sides of the entire firearm as well as any stampings or markings.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Both rifles are highly desirable. I saw a Spencer on consignment many years ago go for well over $3000. Depending on what version 1873 Trapdoor you have, they also go for very good prices. The rifles in good condition go for between $600 and $850 and up - the Carbines even more.

If they were mine and I wanted to sell them, I'd go thru a broker. I hate to see jacked up prices on anything, but for a seller I think that is the best way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts