Best pump .22?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ARB, May 4, 2009.

1. ARB

ARB New Member

I have a marlin 60 but am looking for a decent quality pump. I really can't afford to drop $700.00 on a Henry, any suggestions?

2. millman

millman New Member

I thought they were more like $400? Remington has a pump version of their Speedmaster. Taurus has some nifty Winchester copies. Then there is the used market, where who knows what might turn up. This Win. mod. 270 was $200 at an auction. This one is my backyard pestgun,with the super colibris.

Good luck with your search,
    Millman

Attached Files:

3. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

The Rem. mod 572 (I believe) Fieldmaster is a very good rifle. Check it out.

4. ARB

ARB New Member

I guess I was looking at the MSRP on Henry's website, sorry. I will check the others, thanks.:)

5. muddober

muddober Active Member

In my opinion the best pump 22 rifles ever made were the Winchester model 61 and 62 along with the Remington Speedmatser and the Remington model 12 like the one in the picture. The Winchesters are probably more than you mentioned spending but I bought this model Remington model 12 for $300.00 at the Reno Gun show last year.

Ron

Attached Files:

6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have a 1890 Winchester pump from the 1920's. I have also owned a Rossi pump. The Winchester is tight and accurate. The Rossi is not! The Taurus clones of the Winchester are not much better than the Rossi's base on my daughters example. I know nothing of the Remington pumps but based on other Remington 22 I have seen I would bet they are no match for the Winchester pump (????).

The point: The Winchester pump is a very tight and well made, accurate 22 rifle. If you can afford one then get it as you probably won't be disappointed if yours ends up anything like mine.

LDBennett

Note: the 62 is a later gun heavily based on the original John Browning 1890 design. The Model 61 is not a John Browning design and is a hammerless design from Johnson done much later (1930's).

7. oldogy

oldogy New Member

I have had my Winchester 62A for many years. Still tight and a fine shooting gun. I like shooting it almost as much as I like shooting my Marlin 60 with scope.
    oldogy

8. millman

millman New Member

That Remington is SWEEET Ron.

9. steve99f

steve99f New Member

From a functional point of view you can't go wrong with the Winchester or Remington pumps. I would also add in there the Savages too. If you like the look of the octogonal bbls you need to look vintage rifles. I know Savage stopped using this style after WWII, mostly, not sure about Rem and Win. Then you need to consider exposed hammer or hammerless. A lot of ways to go with 22 pumps. Good vintage stuff is around for under 400 easy unless it has very high condition.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  10. ARB

ARB New Member

I appreciate all the insight guys. That Remington was purdy! I grew up with a Winchester but have it no more. I'm not sure how much I'd actually use a pump but would like to have it for nostalgia sake. And pass it to my son when he's old enough.