The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel pretty smug. My buddy left his old Marlin 60 with me, and I modified it to take real sling studs instead of those ridiculous things that clamp to the barrel.

In order to do this, I had to grind a dome nut down to around 0.180" inches in thickness. Naturally, this removed the bluing. I want to put it back, even though it will be inside the gun's stock.

I figured I would just get some Super Blue, but I thought I should ask people who may know more than I do: should I try something else?

Okay, I couldn't wait to post and wait for answers. I oil-blued it. Put some Kubota oil in a soup bowl on the kitchen counter (great to be single), heated the nut, and dropped it in. Looks fine, and I didn't expose myself to kryptonite or whatever is in Super Blue.

01 12 21 Mike Marlin 60 oil blued swivel nut small.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
I feel pretty smug. My buddy left his old Marlin 60 with me, and I modified it to take real sling studs instead of those ridiculous things that clamp to the barrel.

In order to do this, I had to grind a dome nut down to around 0.180" inches in thickness. Naturally, this removed the bluing. I want to put it back, even though it will be inside the gun's stock.

I figured I would just get some Super Blue, but I thought I should ask people who may know more than I do: should I try something else?

Okay, I couldn't wait to post and wait for answers. I oil-blued it. Put some Kubota oil in a soup bowl on the kitchen counter (great to be single), heated the nut, and dropped it in. Looks fine, and I didn't expose myself to kryptonite or whatever is in Super Blue.

View attachment 243754
I have had good luck with this:
BROWNELLS - OXPHO-BLUE®

I have used in on revolver barrels to touch up the hoster wear and it worked great. It should be fine for what you are looking for.

Birchwood Casey also has one that gets good reviews.

Have fun.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some guy on the web tested a bunch of things, and he claimed he got the best protection and appearance from Nu-Blue. A site called Stockdoc.com sells it.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Super Moderator
40,000 Posts
I have used a product from Brownell's also, but I think it is called formula 44/40. It is some really good stuff, but after it is opened and sits for a while, what's left in the bottle will crystalize and become useless.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
I second or third the Oxpho blue. Get the gel. I’ve tried a bunch over the years, that’s the best.

And I’ve heard another poster talking about other blue chrystalizing. My current bottle of Oxpho blue gel is over 10 years old, it’s almost solid now, but it still works! Kind of like a paste shoe Polish over time.

I did an entire mil surp pistol slide with it about 2 months ago from which I had removed the commie “enamel” finish, and it turned out nicely. I also touched up the barrel on a Winchester 1894 Classic and you can’t notice it. You can keep applying coats until you get the proper color...best stuff you can buy imho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts