The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bagged my first one. Perfect shot, dead center on the display with a 168gr BTHP. Personally, I thought it'd do more damage, but just a clean entry and exit wound. Killed it for sure, but it got me wondering what one of the big boys woulda done to it.
Rifle, or pistol, anyone ever bagged one with a big caliber? What kind of results?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
My bestest shooting buddy bagged his with a .45ACP. Drilled it through cleanly. Dead right there! :D
I have managed to keep missing mine.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Mine took two hits from a 9mm. First one from my buddy as I watched it happen. Then I was going to prove he screwed up, and I drilled it.:oops: Both rounds missed anything vital, and it was still working.
We had just cut up a surplus F-16 canopy for the drag boat capsule, and I kept some scraps. Cut out a piece and screwed it on the front to bullet proof it. Good stuff, resists a .50 BMG AP round right?
A 220grn .300WM sent the whole works downrange, tripod and all, and it took it's last scan. On the plus side, it barely scuffed the bullet proof canopy piece.:D

·
Premium Member
11,190 Posts
I killed the only Chrony I owned with a 45-120-3 1/4. 110 grs. of Ffg and a 520 gr. cast bullet puts paid to a lot of things. Parts rained down for about 15 seconds. Bought a Pact after I killed the Chrony and so far it has eluded me shooting it.

·
Premium Member
11,190 Posts
I am assuming that the beasts were in season at the time they were harvested and that you folks had the appropriate licenses and such.
:gunner:
Heck no! It was standing out there in my pasture, on a tripod just asking for it so I gave it to it! I ain't payin' any attention to any chronograph season laws or regulations.

·
Banned
1,909 Posts
Another reason to only use LabRadar.:rotfl:

Reactions: carver and ysacres

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
So, once you've bagged one, how do ya clean it? Skin it?
And the best cooking method? :confused:

Reactions: carver and ysacres

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
NO!! Another reason not to use a Chronograph at all. The "Standard Deviation Data" offers little help in developing loads so skip using a Chronograph. All that counts is accuracy on the target and not any info you might get on a Chronograph.

But, of course, you can do whatever you like.

LDBennett​

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
I get chill bumps whenever I shoot through one.Especially since they aren't mine.

Reactions: carver

·
GUNZILLA
5,978 Posts
I killed the only Chrony I owned with a 45-120-3 1/4. 110 grs. of Ffg and a 520 gr. cast bullet puts paid to a lot of things. Parts rained down for about 15 seconds. Bought a Pact after I killed the Chrony and so far it has eluded me shooting it.
I never did buy another either, I just loaded my loads that grouped best at 100, 200 and 300 yards.

·
Super Moderator
38,498 Posts
I think mine was also taken out with a 168 grain BTHP in a .308, after that I decided that I really didn't need one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been reading reviews about them for a long time. I guess I will not be thinking about it anymore.

·
Premium Member
11,190 Posts
Why not DM? After killing my Chrony I haven't gotten close to my Pact and I've had it for 25 years.

Reactions: m77user and joe45c
1 - 20 of 29 Posts