The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my dads old Remington Model 30 Express from about 1930ish. It does not have any mounting holes for a scope. I am wanting advice on a good scope that is not too expensive. And also the best scope mounts add how to mount them? I sure not want to mess up dads rifle as it is also very sentimental to me. Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,029 Posts
If it isn't already drilled and tapped, that is the last thing I'd do. It is tapped for a receiver sight. I believe it would be better to invest in a period Lyman or Redfield aperture sight.

However, it looks as if it's already been re-blued and had the stock refinished so any original value is gone. If that's true, it doesn't matter if it's drilled and tapped.

You'll get opinions and mine is a Leupold, Browning or Redfield one piece base and matching rings. Personally a 4X to 6X scope wither either a straight objective or a 32mm objective will meet all the needs I have. It would also look more like it belongs on a rifle of that era than some 30mm, 8 - 24 beast with a bunch of knobs sticking out of it or.....even a 3x9 variable.

·
Super Moderator
40,817 Posts
The collectability of the Enfield model P-17 disappeared about the time it was sporterized, so adding a scope will not hurt the value any more.

·
Premium Member
13,213 Posts
The collectability of the Enfield model P-17 disappeared about the time it was sporterized, so adding a scope will not hurt the value any more.
It's a commercial Model 30, and the absolute worst thing you could do to this fine old vintage sporter would be to drill and tap for scope mount bases. The receiver's already drilled and tapped for a rear sight, so if it were my choice to make I'd be on Ebay looking for a Lyman 48.

·
Premium Member
13,029 Posts
What mckenzie and TRAP said. Remington basically used the Enfield for the 30 and 30A like Winchester basically used the '03 for the Mod. 54.

·
Premium Member
13,029 Posts
Had the war continued it would have been a Mod. 1917.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I like the gun. Its a nice looking rifle.

Its your rifle do what you like with it but it could be worth more to someone else than to you for its historical value - you dont see these every day.

You could buy a newer rifle already set up for a scope and keep that one as is if you wanted to preserve it or sell it - if you just want a scoped rifle. Even if it has been refinished it looks okay to me and better than some out there. At least the steel is clean and it doesnt appear to be banged up.

If you do decide to put optics on it, might take to an actual smith within driving range to do the work. At least it wouldn't be a botch job like some lgs might do to it. Maybe a traditional style 4 or 6 fixed power x 40 with 1 inch tube would mate well with it - depends on the caliber and what you like. The lyman would mate well with the error or the orginal site even more so. Since it is already tapped for it that wouldn't degrade it. Peeps are tough in low light sometimes but they usually work better with old eyes than notch rear sites - for me anyway.

It is a 30-06 isn't it?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Beautiful Rifle Brother. Back when Craftmanship meant something.

Reactions: DHGrimes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it isn't already drilled and tapped, that is the last thing I'd do. It is tapped for a receiver sight. I believe it would be better to invest in a period Lyman or Redfield aperture sight.

However, it looks as if it's already been re-blued and had the stock refinished so any original value is gone. If that's true, it doesn't matter if it's drilled and tapped.

You'll get opinions and mine is a Leupold, Browning or Redfield one piece base and matching rings. Personally a 4X to 6X scope wither either a straight objective or a 32mm objective will meet all the needs I have. It would also look more like it belongs on a rifle of that era than some 30mm, 8 - 24 beast with a bunch of knobs sticking out of it or.....even a 3x9 variable.
Yes this gun went through a fire in 1990 and the insurance Co. made me leave it in the house for 2 -3 weeks waiting on an adjuster. During that time it rusted from heat and the fireman drowning the first floor. The gun was in a closet on 2nd floor and would have been fine if I could have removed it. The stock was OK all metal rusted. Thanks for your reply! David

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the gun. Its a nice looking rifle.

Its your rifle do what you like with it but it could be worth more to someone else than to you for its historical value - you dont see these every day.

You could buy a newer rifle already set up for a scope and keep that one as is if you wanted to preserve it or sell it - if you just want a scoped rifle. Even if it has been refinished it looks okay to me and better than some out there. At least the steel is clean and it doesnt appear to be banged up.

If you do decide to put optics on it, might take to an actual smith within driving range to do the work. At least it wouldn't be a botch job like some lgs might do to it. Maybe a traditional style 4 or 6 fixed power x 40 with 1 inch tube would mate well with it - depends on the caliber and what you like. The lyman would mate well with the error or the orginal site even more so. Since it is already tapped for it that wouldn't degrade it. Peeps are tough in low light sometimes but they usually work better with old eyes than notch rear sites - for me anyway.

It is a 30-06 isn't it?
First off Yes it is a .30-06 Mauser 98 action (I Think) And with all advice so far I believe I will leave it as is and look for a newer used .270 already scoped. I found a used Browning a-bolt in .270 for $550.. And Ruger all weather. 77 mark 2. Stainless with the wood laminate stock & matching SS Scope, 338 win mag. for $780. Not sure that is a good price or too high???
George, that's exactly what it was. After the war Remington had a stockpile of receivers, and barrel blanks. GI's coming home were familiar with their M1917's, and Rem made a brilliant marketing decision.
Yes and my dad bought this gun after returning home from the WWII . He had been in 7 different European countries and was Army 2nd line.

·
Registered
610 Posts
For that firearm to have gone through a fire, and being forced to leave it there for two weeks, it looks astounding. I'm glad you rescued it.

Glad to hear you do not plan to drill and tap it. I have a Savage Model 110 in .270, look at one of those is my advice. Known Tac-Drivers, without spending a fortune.

Thanks for posting, and Welcome to the Forums.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Glad to hear that you will leave it as it is. Beautiful, classic old rifle. Those Lyman sights are really a great sight. They are quick to use and more than suitable for hunting at reasonable ranges of 100 to 150 yards. Every deer and elk I've ever shot in Colorado or Utah was within that range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to hear that you will leave it as it is. Beautiful, classic old rifle. Those Lyman sights are really a great sight. They are quick to use and more than suitable for hunting at reasonable ranges of 100 to 150 yards. Every deer and elk I've ever shot in Colorado or Utah was within that range.
Yep I was very lucky that it was even salvageable at all. The gun smith hot blued and did a great job but he had to take enough rust off that I lost the REMINGTON name and Caliber imprint. Also I looked on eBay for a Lyman 48 peep sight and of course they have several different models. But none of them to fit my Model 30.

Which number of Lyman should I search for? And I am sur glad I found and joined up with you all. It has been a great help. By the way the pistol in my Avatar was my grandfathers 1903 Colt .380 hammerless semi auto. It is a little rough but it will stay that way to remember my grandpa.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts