The Firearms Forum banner

Best Swager & Case Trimmer For The Price? (.223)

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  drymag 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I want to know your thoughts on some of the better swagers and case trimmers out there for the money. I'd love to buy a Dillon super swage 600 and a lil crow gunworks worlds finest trimmer, but I simply cant justify dropping nearly $200 to prep some 223 brass right now.

I would really like to keep it under $100 for both and I prefer swaging primer pockets vs reaming them out. I have about 2 gallons of a 5 gal bucket worth of brass, most is once fired military and as time progresses I'll likely shoot/obtain a whole lot more.

I just want to know what works for you guys, I want something which achieves good results in a moderate amount of time. Could you name some good tools or should I just save up for the top tier ones?

#2 ·
#3 ·
I have the same swager but use it on a Lee Classic Cast single stage press. I had to make a modified piece so I could use it on the press.

Measure the average depth of the primer pocket.
Set up die and move die down to just contact the top of the primer pocket.
Turn the die in aprox 50% of depth.
Set it up to just remove the top roll over edge of the primer pocket crimp and do not swage all the way to the bottom of the pocket.

Attachments

#4 ·
I have a Hornady trimmer. It does ok. I had to buy a coupler so I could use a electric screwdriver to spin the chuck. There's a trick to set the depth of cut so read the instructions. I think there are probably others on the market much better. The Hornady was a mid way cost choice.

#8 ·
I used to ream pockets and then I found this swagging kit made by CH-4D that I use in my Lee 4 hole turret press. It takes very little pressure to swag a pocket with it and it's fast.

I paid $35.01 plus $8.00 shipping for it.

Their website address is:
https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/priming-tools/psk

You have to call to order. Danny is the guy that answers and takes the orders.
740-397-7214
Monday - Friday
10am - 6pm EST

This is a video that shows how it works.

#9 ·
I was initially hitting all 223 pockets that were crimped w/ swager. Then HB did this video. I bought the gage and now I only have to do the ones that fail. I also find that some of the range brass are too lose to want to use in the ar so they get moved to the bolt 223 and some are just tossed. I ordered the 3 part set cause I know I would be back for the others and saved some shipping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.