The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As if some of you haven't already read.. I now have a type 56 SKS... so, Mechanically it looks great, and shoots great.. For a type 56... But the stock is in less than I'd like it to be condition.
I was thinking, if I'm going to own a pice of history (mid 60's) that is in such fine condition (less the stock) why not introduce it to the present...
I was looking for input as to which components should be "modernized" Id like to get a stock that isn't beat up and look as if it had gone through a war... wait.. it did... I see there are all kinds of options for materials and suppliers. I really like the look of the original stock.. but Im wondering if modern technology would be better. Again.. the firearm is in excellent working order... but I have also noticed an updated bolt assembly that has a "hold back" spring for the firing pin... (I have as of yet to have a slam fire) Is it worth the upgrade? Hand guards and gas tubes.. mine works.. blows a bit of carbon... but works....Up date that as well? Now... Magazines... Im good with the fixed 10 round... but if I stay that way... stripper clips come to mind... New or surplus? Or do I go with the "removable" aftermarket magazines?

Or do I just get a replacement surplus stock and shoot it as it was designed to shoot.. with a handful of dirt in the receiver?

Thanks for any input,
Shawn

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Id stick with the 10 round mag. The aftermarket AK type removable mags don't work that great.

·
Banned
17,476 Posts
if it where me ( as i can only say for myself)

i'd be putting the original stock away safe and secure,

get myself a bull pup kit and go from there

the bull pup kits ( some) do a very good job on using AK mag's

and some use the original , buy both types and you can play at anything you wish

SKS is very well supported that way nowdays

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, its like taking a mid 90's Chevy Caprice to Detroit.... leave it there and one of 3 things will happen... 1: it would get stripped down to nothing and get sold on the black market! 2: End up with so much bling, get attached to a gold chain and put around a rappers neck and become useless, or 3: restored to near mint but with minor conveniences and put to good use.
Im not reinventing it... just want to fix it up, make it comfortable, and safe.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here.. my first up grade!... a necessity actually.
An original cleaning kit for the butt stock will be next.

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it's an SKS... I thought a proper trigger job involved throwing a handful of sand into the receiver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts