The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone advise as to what type of lighting I could use on my Chrony for defuser. I hate to pay out 50 for then factory type. This is strictly for an indoor application, I am setting up to use with wax bullet loads.

· Registered
3,584 Posts
Incandescent lights are about the only 120v ones that work. Flourescent will give 60Hz interference as will most store-bought LED light strips.

LED lights will work if they are DC powered (off of batteries). If they're powered by the typical cheap wall-wart AC/DC adapter, you will usually get 60Hz interference.
If you've got an old computer power supply that you can use, they will give you nice clean DC power that won't have the 60Hz flicker. That's what I am using to power the LEDs in my homemade camera white-box. Works good and no flicker to mess with the shutter timing.

If you google search "DIY chronograph light" there are several links to guys that have homebrewed their own light bars.
This is one that looks like a good setup to me...BUT, I haven't done any indoor shooting so I haven't had the need to put together my own light bars. http://snomhf.exofire.net/shooting/chronyLights.html

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked up that web site, and will give it a try. I also am trying out the DC stick em lights from Wally World. Tried it with one lite this morning and it worked. But it needs one lite over each cell. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.