The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is very interesting. New shot shells that are biodegradable and affordable. The case and wads will breakdown quickly and harmlessly. I find old shells in the woods that have to be 30+ years old. This is one of the coolest new things I've seen in a while.

·
Registered
12,977 Posts
Shot shells used to be biodegradable or recyclable until they started making them out of plastic. Paper hulls and fiber wads broke down fast and brass hulls could be reloaded dozens of times or sold for the brass. Plastic shot shells, not so much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shot shells used to be biodegradable or recyclable until they started making them out of plastic. Paper hulls and fiber wads broke down fast and brass hulls could be reloaded dozens of times or sold for the brass. Plastic shot shells, not so much.
Paper shells are nice but they do have their problems. Reloadable would be nice to come back. I'm just glad a company is stepping up with what looks like a pretty good solution

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Pretty sure Good Ol’ George Washington Carver developed/invented a plastic made from soy beans.

·
Registered
Guns Scare Me
7,026 Posts
I saw some of these types of shells as I was wasting money and awaiting a 4473 to go through at Palmetto State Armory this afternoon. They were EXPENSIVE! I seem to recall $16/25 or so. At least, that's all I remember. The novelty passed quickly after I glanced at the price.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Sounds like a unique idea - but I think all brass shotgun shells would be better. You can load them up with BP or smokeless - and I'm pretty sure not many folks would leave them behind. When I first got into reloading, there used to be empty brass pistol and rifle cases laying around in just about any public shooting area you could think of. Ammo became more expensive and that brass stopped being left behind.

I'd also be very leery about that biodegradable ammo for long term storage.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have a feeling in places like Cali, you will not be given a choice, just like they hate lead.

I shoot sporting clays, so everything is landing where everything else is landing, the range has cleanup days for this, what happens after that I have no idea.

If I was to hunt sure I would do this, why not. If you are in this hobby and you can't afford another $50 during duck, turkey, whatever season, you might should look at cutting something else out.

The "prepper" thing, yea I get that point, but I think that is a small section of the over all market.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Remington Ammunition under the old Peters brands has reintroduced paper hull shotgun cartridges for skeet, trap, and sporting clays. Also. The brass looks to be low wall. Also. The shot is high antimony lead, so I’m guessing it not suggested to be used for hunting.

·
Registered
944 Posts
So why did they stop making the paper ones? Until now I actually didn’t realize their were anything else.
You were unaware of plastic shogun shells?

From an article about them:

Starting in the early 1960s, plastic hulls started replacing paper hulls for the majority of shotgun shells and by the 1980s, plastic hulls had become universally adopted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts