The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a bipod for a Savage M10 PC. Suggestions welcome on make, length, etc.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Harris 6-9", and get the one you can tilt. That's the one most recommended for a precision rifle.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Don't go cheap, get a Harris as others have suggested. What kind of "rested" shooting situations are you planning for? That will determine what length you'll need. For bench and prone shooting, the 6-9 will work very well. If you're going elk hunting in rocky steep terrain, then you may want longer. I doubt you're going to be doing any longer range hunting with that gun though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I put a Harris 6-9" on my Ruger 30-06. Mine is a swivel model and at the push of the buttons extends out automatically. Their web site is very good to figure out which one you want.

G

·
I made the mistake of buying a Rock something and while in the field shooting it decided to fall apart and come apart like a grenade flinging parts in a 20' radius. I had to call it a day. Tossed that POS in the garbage and spend the money on a Harris. Great bi-pod. Though my next bi-pod will be a Sinclair (but that is a different beast)...

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I'll get the Harris 6-9 that tilts................

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have a Caldwell 6"-9". Sometimes the screw loosens a bit, but it does everything I could want from a bipod. Harris bipods are much more sturdy though, that's what you pay for

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I'm thinking Tango probably had a Shooters Ridge bipod, which is a cheap knock-off copy of the Harris bipods.

I've got one Shooters Ridge (got it cheap in a used rifle purchase) and one Harris (bought it new many years ago). Both are 6"-9" non-swivel models and both are useable.
The Harris is definitely my favorite and is built twice as good as the imitation.
I just might buy a swiveling Harris if that Shooters Ridge ever falls apart.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I was in Wally World To get a cleaning rod for my Savage Mod. 93 17HMR and saw a Blackhawk bipod for $39. Now this rifle is intended for fun, not a money pit like my other projects so I picked it up. It swivels and has a lock which you have to pay extra for the Harris. After installing it I would have had a hard time telling the difference from a Harris.

After a little investigation I found the Blackhawk is made in China but did not find any complaints about quality. I will probably stick with Harris for my heavier large caliber rifles but I am more than pleased with the Blackhawk sportster I purchassed for less than the price of the Harris.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Harris 6-9", and get the one you can tilt. That's the one most recommended for a precision rifle.
I'll have to 2nd what Josh stated.
I have two that I use and both are Harris. One the tilts and one that is
standard.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
A couple guys and I are currently torture testing the Blackhawk 6-9" tilt model, which is a very close copy of the Harris 6-9" tilt model.

Weve banged it against rocks and benches. tossed it down a small embankment into the mud. Banged it around some more. stressed the adjustments to their limits and its still seeming to do OK. Normally we don't deviate from what we know works, but it came to us free of charge so we figure beat it and see if it holds up. So far.. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. They are about half the cost of a Harris.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Sounds like you guys put the Blackhawk tru the paces Josh and good to hear!
I've passsed over the BH brand a few times just for the fact I was sold on Harris.
But as you said....the cost and you guys put it tru the paces. Thumbs up!

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Like I said, so far so good. Its holding up. Only thing weve got left to do really is run it over.. And I doubt wed ever do that to as HArris and expect it to be OK..

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I made the mistake of buying a Rock something and while in the field shooting it decided to fall apart and come apart like a grenade flinging parts in a 20' radius. I had to call it a day. Tossed that POS in the garbage and spend the money on a Harris. Great bi-pod. Though my next bi-pod will be a Sinclair (but that is a different beast)...
Stoney Point?

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Like I said, so far so good. Its holding up. Only thing weve got left to do really is run it over.. And I doubt wed ever do that to as HArris and expect it to be OK..
..if ya do, put that on vid.! :yikes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts