The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you are suppose to use magnum primers with BL-C (2). But as you know all primers are hard to find. Will regular small rifle primers function just as good. And why are you suppose to use magnum primers with ball powders?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I read it in the loading manual. I have the Speer #14. And when I googled blc2 it came up there. It says its a ball powder and most ball powders require magnum primers. In my load book under the recipe for blc2 it has a astric and it means magnum primers.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me clarify the Speer book has its loading recipes like all others do and its there it says to use magnum primers not in the reading under primers.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the Speer manual don't count why do they say to use them with that powder? I don't have magnum primers but I do have BL-C(2). And I wanna use it. I have Barnes 50gr HP varmint garnades, and I wanted to use it with those. Just was wondering if I have to wait till I get magnum primers?

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you, well I kinda did.

My point is that every manual is different and load data published in these manuals is not an absolute/recipe. Speer says Magnum, Hodgdon say Standard. What to do, what to do.

Do what you always do, select your components, find load data of same weight bullet of similar construction and work up.

If you want to use Mag primers, go for it, if you want to use standard primers go for it. They will both work, as long as you start low and work up you will be fine!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok cool that's sounds right, what you said. Just thought that if the manual said it it kinda meant it was a standard for that powder. But I absolutely get what your saying. Thanks good advice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have been loading with ball c since 1958 and never used a mag primer -- fact is I don't think mag primers were even available -- Hodgdon never mentioned it either, that i know of ---
my tuppence

·
Registered
10,056 Posts
AR guy:

The manual to look in is the Hodgdon manual since they distribute the powder.

Their manual says either will work but it is better to use the primer they used in developing the listed loads. Their general rule is if it is a big case, like a magnum case you should probably use a magnum primer and for all other cases a regular primer will do.

There was the story that ball powders, like BL-C(2), needed magnum primers because ball powders are harder to light up but ball powders have changed over the years and that no longer seems to be the case for normal capacity cased cartridges. Speer still subscribes to that theory, apparently.

If you get into a situation like today where standard primers are scarce and all you can get is magnum then use magnum primers but they will add energy to the firing and if you are anywhere close to max load then the pressure limits for the cartridge may be exceed.So you probably will have to develop the loads again for your rifle. You may also see an impact on accuracy forcing you to develop a new load with the magnum primers.

The way suggested by steve4102 is actually the way I do it (not following the recipes exactly but not exceeding the max load listed). For success to a new reloader I always suggest they start using the recipes listed in manuals exactly to keep them safe. There is a lot to learn about reloading and to add the variability of random combinations of components to the mix might be a recipe for disaster or maybe frustration. I think it better to start from a know starting point (the recipes) before doing a bunch of changes to a known good and safe recipe from a reloading manual. After the learning curve flattens out is the time to deviate from the manual (but still staying below the max loads listed and at or above the starting loads.). Others might not agree but I go for safety first.

LDBennett

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok understand and agree thanks LD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.