The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered 500, .45, 230 grain RN bullets from these guys http://shop.blackbulletsinternational.com/main.sc on May 6. They arrived today. That's 12 calender days and I thought that was pretty good delivery considering how hard it is to get any components these days.

They have a polymer coating, but no lubricant. They have a slick feel to them almost like Teflon. I weighed and measured 10 at random and they seem pretty consistent in both weight and diameter. I paid $65.00/500 (.13 ea) which is almost as expensive as fmj projectiles, but I haven't been able to buy .45 fmj bullets any where for the last month so I'm not unhappy with the price.

I'll start working up a load tomorrow and see how they shoot.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
They look good. I think ill order a few and give em a try too.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Dang.. Nevermind.. They don't have anything for .38 spec or .357 mag.

·
Registered
243 Posts
So ...... what is the black stuff?

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
It IS the lubricant. Its a PTFE based polymer coating that keeps the bore from contacting the bare lead bullet.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Kinda works the very same way MOLY coating does on bullets. Cept the PTFE based poly should wipe out fairly easily upon cleanup

·
Registered
243 Posts
So the black coating is Teflon.

Would Teflon coated bullets penetrate bullet proof jackets or vests?

Only curiosity, I have no hidden agenda.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wondered about the PTFE coating because that would be a Teflon and I think it would be illegal to sell them. I sent BBI an email asking about their coating and got this response -

"Steve,
It is moly as the base coat but we also have a clear sealer over the moly that gives it a very slick feel. The sealer keeps you from getting the powdery residue often associated with moly coatings and keep the bore a bit cleaner. Thanks for the comments and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Chandler LaFrain
BBI - CEO"

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
So the black coating is Teflon.

Only curiosity, I have no hidden agenda.
Nope...teflon isn't some magic compound that will turn bullets into armor-piercing rounds. That is a falacy that goes back to when Winchester introduced the BlackTalon line, which incidentally wasn't teflon-lubed either. The BTs just use Winchester's Lubalox coating which is a moly-disulfide bearing alox style lube. Nothing magical about it except a mean name that got the anti's all up in a tizzy.

BUT...when PTFE (teflon) breaks down you will create flourine gas.
Flourine is toxic and it's also a very strong oxidizer agent so using it as a bullet lube would not be a wise idea. Corrosion and erratic powder burn might be some side effects to your bore.
What would happen to your respiratory or nervous system I don't know...don't wanna find out either. :)
http://www.rsc.org/periodic-table/element/9/fluorine

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
This was a common mistake back when the KTW rounds were on the LEO market. They penetrated not because they were Teflon coated, but because they were bronze. The Teflon was to protect the bore of the firearm.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've used their bullets in 9 and 45 and have been very satisfied. I was really surprised that my most recent order (about a month ago) was delivered in 8 days. BBIs are consistent, no smoke, and shoot very clean. Load them using lead data, not jacketed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ever see any leading problems with them. I have been seeing some in my cz's using Missouri bullets. Would like to go up in size but dardas is the only one where you can choose the size

1 - 19 of 19 Posts