The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody come across any good Black Friday reloading deals anywhere ? I saw Mid South has a Hornady electric scale/dispenser for $149 think it was .

·
Super Moderator
40,178 Posts
Not reloading related, more like unloading related, but yesterday Classic Firearms had a daily special on Winchester electronic earmuffs for $14.99 so I bought a couple and I bought the "Lifetime Warranty" on them for a dollar each. The pair of Winchester's that I have had for 10-12 years recently started making some terrible noises when I turn them on. I paid $19.95 for them 10-12 years ago from Wally World.

·
GUNZILLA
6,493 Posts
Do those electronic earmuffs really work? I've been a little skeptical buying some. Don't understand how you can carry a normal conversation but will muffle the report of a gun or rifle.

·
Super Moderator
40,178 Posts
They work great, I don't know how they work but they do work. Since mine have been "broken" I use them without the listening capabilities and cannot hear you talk if you were standing 6 inches from me, but with the electronic part on, I can hear people 30 feet away talking but when the trigger is pulled, I hear the shot but very quiet.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Do those electronic earmuffs really work? I've been a little skeptical buying some. Don't understand how you can carry a normal conversation but will muffle the report of a gun or rifle.
Back in the mid 90's the local police chief let me borrow a pair of amplified muffs. It was the first time using them for me. I had them on up in a tall tree stand someone had built on the property years ago. I'm pretty hard of hearing and loved how I could hear the woods sounds and the birds chirping again. They have a program that responds to very load sounds like a gun shot which shuts the muff down for a split second and then goes back to normal amplification. They are great on the range for hearing range commands, yet filter out the load gunshots. I even used them turkey hunting though knowing the exact direction of the noise was not the best. Anyway, I was up in this tree stand and a low flying plane flew very close to my stand. Actually, I'm not really sure how close it was, but the new to me amplification made it sound like the plane was so low and so close and so load that I had to force myself to hang on to the tree stand and not jump off just before what seemed like an immanent collision. You eventually get used to them and this doesn't happen.

They are a great asset and I use mine for even mowing the lawn or using power tools at home.. It's nice to still be able to hear what is going on around you. They don't shut down with those noises and still amplify the normal sounds all around you. Very similar to a hearing aid that has the ability to filter out load noises. I had an early set of digital hearing aids like that but I always thought that I'd actually lost more hearing from wearing them at work. Seems like they were also amplifying some of the load noises, but the audiologist never agreed with me on that.

·
Super Moderator
26,991 Posts
Yes they do. I don't know how they work either, but they do.

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,673 Posts
I have a set of Howard Leighs that work good but very uncomfortable. They mash my ears.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
This very thing is what has given me pause in buying a set. But for $19 I may have to try a set. I have a lot of trouble hearing someone talking to me while I have my old school muffs on.

Reactions: ms6852

·
Premium Member
8,184 Posts
I have 2 pair of them can't remember the brand off the top of my head they take a 9Volt Transistor battery I can hear spoken words fine. pull the trigger can hardly hear the shot. They are low profile so they don't get in the way of a scoped rifle.

·
GUNZILLA
6,493 Posts
They are low profile so they don't get in the way of a scoped rifle.
This is why I have not used muffs for rifle shooting, they get in the way, have used them on occasion when shooting handguns.

·
Premium Member
8,184 Posts
I do not have any Scoped rifles so the electronic ear muffs don't get in the way. The range I belong to r3quires Ear Muffs but recommends Electronic ear muffs. so not a problem fore me at all.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
The electronic earmuffs work on detecting loud impulse sounds louder then 80 decibels (db) and in milliseconds turn off its amplifier. Shotguns produce 140-165 db and centerfire rifles up to170+ db.

FYI. Muzzle breaks sound louder do to directing the muzzle blast upward, sideways, and in some rearward instead all of it sent forward. There are a couple of companies that make a blast annotator that is threaded to the muzzle end of a gun barrel that slows down some of the escaping gas but is not classified as a suppresser by the ATF so they do no class as a NFA device nor do they require any registration. The muzzle blast is still hearing damaging but in a hunting situation, they can help reduce the mazzle blast somewhat, but in dense woods you will still get the muzzle blast reflected back at you from close by trees. They sell for about $100.

·
GUNZILLA
6,493 Posts
So I went ahead and bought a couple of electronic ear muffs to try them out. I bought the Walkers's Razor but did not notice that they are different. One is called the slim quad, and has 4 microphones and the other is just the slim electronic. I'll try them out next week and see if I like them. The Quad was 69 bucks and the other was 54 at Academy.

Reactions: joe45c
1 - 14 of 14 Posts