The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
As far as I know there are not any different pressure issues… My concern is if I have to additionally lube polymer coated lead.
Yes you do. It has to be bp friendly. I've never used SPG but I've heard it was good. You can't use a petroleum based lube. I use a mix of beeswax and olive oil. You can substitute Crisco for the olive oil.

·
TFF Chaplain
23,143 Posts
My concern is if I have to additionally lube polymer coated lead.
I've never used coated bullets in my .45-70. I get these: GM Lead Bullets .457 405 gr (RNFP) Pk 100 45-70 (henrykrank.com)
Body jewelry Earrings Automotive lighting Jewellery Electric blue

You should be able to find a source near you. Henry Krank is good for the UK, but I'm not sure they would post to the US.

As for powder. As said, I would have to get two Black Powder licenses from the police. One to store it, and one to transport it, as in ammunition or in bulk containers. The police would come to my home and inspect the purpose made storage box that I would keep it in. I don't have a place for that kind of storage. I have friends who have jumped through the hoops and use only black powder and they would never use substitutes.

So I use the substitutes. I've tried both Pyrodex and 777 and much prefer 777 because it's cleaner and seems to work better. I measure the powder charges by volume. 60 or 65 grains into a .45-70 case with a wad over the powder seems to do the trick. I use fffg in the revolver, and ffg in the .45-70.

Clean up is with hot dish-soapy water. I come in from the range, drop my empty cases into a container of soapy water with a little vinegar and let them sit while I'm cleaning my gun. The revolver gets the hot soapy water treatment also, as described above.

And as said, BP is addicting. Enjoy. I was very uneasy when I first started loading for my .45-70 but @sharps4590 and @Grizzley1 helped me out a lot, "held my hand" as I got started.

Reactions: Kweeksdraw

·
Registered
12,977 Posts
Bill, those bullets are pre lubed with what looks like a normal smokeless type lube, do you have to remove it and replace it with a bp lube or does it work well with 777? 777 doesn't foul the bore on my front stuffers or at least it doesn't appear to, I'm wondering if in a cartridge application if normal lubes would work with it because of the reduced powder fouling?

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
As far as I know there are not any different pressure issues… My concern is if I have to additionally lube polymer coated lead.
i have done BP with powder coat bullets. i just put a little lube [grease cookie] under the bullet. i compress the bp with a card over the bp and measure to make room for the lube and bullet so there is no gap under the bullet. once the compression die is set everything is smooth.

rick

·
TFF Chaplain
23,143 Posts
are pre lubed with what looks like a normal smokeless type lube, do you have to remove it and replace it with a bp lube or does it work well with 777?
I have always used them as is. It never occurred to me to do anything different. It does look the same as the lube on the .38/.357 bullets I get from them. I did try some bullets from a different source, cheaper and the lube was white/cream colored, specifically for BP shooting. They did not shoot well at all. I think it was a slightly different lead hardness.

I believe other people use them with real BP.

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve been reloading for about a year and have done only smokeless powder loading for CAS. I want to try loading black powder cartridges and will likely use a BP substitute like Pyrodex. With that, can I use coated cast lead bullets without any extra lube or is lube always necessary for every BP application? Thanks in advance!
Nope you need lube. Powder coating is not a lube. Powder cost only if you have a leading issue that you can’t find a solution for. Or your bullet is undersized and need to bump it up.
As far as subs go that’s not shooting BP it’s a sub.

·
Registered
19 Posts
By coated I mean a polymer based coating over cast lead…as in the whole bullet is coated. Sounds like lube is necessary whether coated or not. Really like to try BP cartridges though….Anyone have any shooting supply company names that make bullets specifically for BP loading?
What bullet are you using now in your cartridge gun? If reloading your own just wipe the lube off or melt it off. Then wipe it re lube w 50/50 melted beeswax/ olive oil .
What dia you shooting I shoot 44-40 .429

·
Registered
440 Posts
Black horn 209 is the bee's knees for inline muzzleloaders! Very little fouling, and much slower at corroding the bore. That said, it won't ignite with a percussion cap (though, I haven't attempted it.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
It was my understanding that some subs don't like to be compressed, but I never looked into it since I do not shoot it. However, original BP loads in some cartridges.....say the 44-40 for example....was compressed nearly 1/4" (avg. .21"). In later Starline designed cases it requires more compression than with earlier cases with a small balloon pocket (avg. .19") or even earlier cases with a larger balloon pocket (.17").

In my pressure test results, it was not the amount of compression that increased chamber pressures, but the design of the cartridge case itself. As the cartridge cases lost the volume of the inside balloon pocket, the pressures and velocities decreased greatly.

Font Number Circle Screenshot Document

Ecoregion Light Slope Font Line

Test #55
Goex
Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
For any kind of decent results, Pyrojunk will be compressed. T-7 not as much. Any others I don't know.

Nice work!!!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts