Black powder paper cartridges

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Patches, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Patches

Patches Well-Known Member

Since I am at home retired and at the present time avoiding all human contact there is a lot of time to reload metallic stuff and I am on this path.
    But sitting here last evening and plunking away on the acoustic guitar it suddenly occurred to me that now would be a good time to explore the possibilities and processes that are undertaken to load up a batch of paper cartridges for the .45 rifle and the .61 smooth bore as well.
    So with that as background can anyone provide first hand experience / Do's and Don'ts with their experiences relative to the process?
    I kind of remember that there is a special paper that must be used as it is impregnated with some sort of chemical that causes it to burn up during firing.
    Very interested in any recommendations on how to load up "Buck-N-Ball" and what shooting results are.

2. mudman35962

mudman35962 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

i hope this thread goes well. i have thought on this and do not know enough to start. not that i need more new things to do. spring gardening, Gustaf project, new 9.15mm coming, my older safe queens to love, wife to make happy [impossible] nap time, ect. my life is full!!
    paper patch? bring it on!! maybe this thread will have a long and happy life.

rick

Patches likes this.

3. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

For you 45 rifle, don't bother. Your smoothbore, it should be a fun project.

The paper needs to be nitrated so it is combustible. Even then it doesn't all, always burn up so you MUST make certain there is no embers in the chamber before you start loading another cartridge. I'm certain one uses potassium nitrate mixed in water to soak the paper cartridge paper in but I don't know the ratio. A search would surely turn it up. Soak the paper thoroughly, let it dry thoroughly, then cut the strips, glue 'em up, fill 'em with powder, glue th ball or conical/Minie' in and go forth killing dinosaur's...:D

You'll need an undersize ball or Minie bullet...obviously...and a mandrel of the proper size to make the paper tubes with...and Elmer's glue. Other than that you should be able to find directions on line and I know it's in several books I have....but it would take me all day to find them..:(

Broot and Patches like this.
  4. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

Potassium nitrate is what I used to use a very long time ago. I seem to recall that if you used too much nitrate , the paper became very brittle and actully broke apart while handling.
    I think I basicly followed sharps4590 instuctions with the added thread . The tread was added to tell me where to brake the paper cartridge. ( I had very poor teeth and could not bite/tear the paper ) All this was over fifty years ago and my brain and memory may be faulty.:)

Broot and Patches like this.
  5. Patches

Patches Well-Known Member

Thanks sharps 4590, plan on shooting .595 RB from the smoothie.
    This should be a fun research project and, hopefully, an even more-funner time at the range!!
    :machinegunner: