The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a RCBS uniflow measure when my old lee measure got to not repeating, now the RCBS is locked up from the powder. it has been cleaned several times and now it is trash.
using it to load black powder cartridge,who makes a powder measure that can handle black? and can throw a consistent charge?
i have little patience for equipment malfunction so the need is simple quality.
what are you black powder cartridge guys using? with sucess?

rick

·
Premium Member
17,949 Posts
Seriously, Rick? My goodness, I used mu Uni-flow for decades and never had the first difficulty. Is it jammed up tighter than Dick's hat band? Several years ago I came across, and bought, an old Belding & Mull measure that I now use for BP. This is what it looks like. I bought it because of the brass hopper, back when I was still stupid about black powder and static electricity.
Office supplies Tool Font Metal Book

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
An easy and cheap way to do it is to use a trashed brass cartridge case. Wiegh a charge of whatever you want to use on your scale, then pour it into that case. Mark the case at the powder level, then cut the case at the "full" amount. Then when you want to throw a charge of that wieght of powder, just fill the case and pour it into whatever case you are reloading. Fast and easy. I have an old trashed .45-70 case that I cut to hold 55 grains of FFG that I use for loading my Trapdoor Carbine BP rounds. A small BP flask works well with this method.

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seriously, Rick? My goodness, I used mu Uni-flow for decades and never had the first difficulty. Is it jammed up tighter than Dick's hat band? Several years ago I came across, and bought, an old Belding & Mull measure that I now use for BP. This is what it looks like. I bought it because of the brass hopper, back when I was still stupid about black powder and static electricity.
View attachment 282834
the rcbs will not move even a tiny bit! nice old measure! too bad they are no longer made. i have a couple antique units i may try to bring back to life, i was hoping for a tip on an off the shelf special. time will tell. i like a dump power in the top, pull handle, correct charge, trickle in drop tube, done. i know that is asking a lot. hope springs eternal.

rick

·
TFF Chaplain
23,589 Posts
Would a session in an ultrasonic bath free it up?

I have a flask with a nozzle like this...
Bottle stopper & saver Wood Art Metal Peach

I set it to deliver--I think--3 drams. This flask is adjustable to deliver from 2 1/2 to 3 1/4 drams. Dribble that down a trickle tube into the case. I set a .357 case on top of the powder. The case has been marked even with the top of the .45-70 case with a correct load. I hope that makes sense. Then add the wad and seat the bullet.

·
Super Moderator
47,732 Posts
Several years ago my RCBS Uniflow measure just quite - the thing just locked up like you say yours has done. I hadn't used it for at least five years and had it stored in a cardboard box out in an out building. When I started back to reloading again, I dug it out and I found it that way. It turned out to be rusty on the inside, I guess the humidity had gotten to it. I was going to just throw the thing away but a friend took it and brought it back to life. He said that he took it completely apart, cleaned, oiled it inside, then degreased it, and used graphite to "lube" it again. It has worked ever since.

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
locked up so it can NOT be taken apart. have disassembled it in the past graphite a plenty, worked ok a little stiff. now just locked up a hammer will not move it, and i am done with it.

rick

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
It works better if the measure and flask mate up.

I've also used a squeeze clear plastic mustard bottle and a brass case cut to the right size. A 30-06 case holds around 90 grains. I usually use 60 grains with my old 50cal side lock with magnum #11 caps, round balls, and 1-1/2 swiss black powder.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
I use my old adjustable powder measure I use when loading my muzzleloader . I have made a few "scoops" from brass cartridges like Jim talked about . Even soldered metal rod on side and drilled out a wooden dowel and slid it on with glue as a handle . But most time grab the regular measure cause it has the funnel lid so don't have to mess with a regular funnel . Never had a powder dispenser for black powder . Should as much I shoot the stuff !!!!

·
Super Moderator
32,212 Posts
locked up so it can NOT be taken apart. have disassembled it in the past graphite a plenty, worked ok a little stiff. now just locked up a hammer will not move it, and i am done with it.

rick
Don't chuck it, bring it to Dons.

·
Premium Member
17,949 Posts
The flask type containers with nipples or the made measures work fine for muzzleloaders and percussion revolvers. If you're loading cartridges and using a drop tube a powder measure works so much better and quicker.

If one is so inclined, there is several Belding & Mull measures on evil bay. Fair warning, however. The block that drops the powder can and will rust and bind up where it won't slide, just like the RCBS Uni-flow drum will rust tight. My Uni-flow has done that up in the old farm house where the basement leaked like a sieve. I suppose a fella would have to keep them in an ammo can or something air tight with a dessicant to keep them from rusting, if you live in a humid climate.

Having said that, I haven't had any difficulties since we built this house and my shop is in the climate controlled basement. Come to think of it, I didn't have any difficulties when we lived in Wyoming.

Plumbing fixture Bicycle part Gas Metal Plumbing

1 - 20 of 33 Posts