The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad called and since we both have old shotguns that were originally loaded with bp, can we do this with the plastic shells and would any one have an idea as to what the recipe would be? His is a 16 gauge single shot and mine is a 12 pump. Or would we be better off usin home designed light loads? And if so where to start?

I haven't started readin the shotgun load procedures or anythin yet so any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
44,789 Posts
I don't have a BP shotgun, but when I do shoot my 50 caliber BP rifle, I pour some powder in, drop in a bullet and pack it down.

Not really, I use those pyrodex 50 grain pellets and usually use two of them. I know that is nothing like loading for the shotgun and I don't know the answer, someone will come along and have an answer for you.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Plastic hulls have a thinner rim than the original brass or (later) paper hulls. It means the shell won't headspace correctly and you may get some vicious setback when it's fired or, more likely, it won't go bang 'cause the firing pin can't reach it. If you were to load BP in a shotgun shell you would probably need to find some period hulls or reproductions. I would not be surprised if there are some available. Good luck.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a BP shotgun, but when I do shoot my 50 caliber BP rifle, I pour some powder in, drop in a bullet and pack it down.

Not really, I use those pyrodex 50 grain pellets and usually use two of them. I know that is nothing like loading for the shotgun and I don't know the answer, someone will come along and have an answer for you.
I have never used the pellets, just don't seem right. Of course when I was shootin BP I never heard of pellets. When I first saw em i thought what a stupid idea. Oh well. Of course the only BP rifles I like shootin are the Hawkin style or pistols. Would like to shoot an actual BP style shotgun but haven't yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts