BlackHawk holster

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Arteest, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Arteest

Arteest Well-Known Member

I have heard some very negative remarks concerning the Black Hawk Serpa CQC holster. Some ranges supposedly ban them due to the risk or actual self-inflicted gunshot wound. I have had my eye on one for my G19. I like the positive retention lock idea. Any thoughts or experiences with them.

drymag likes this.
  2. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If the Serpa CQC works in a similar fashion to this 1920ish Audley Safety Holster (spring loaded tab locks between the guard and the trigger, and must be depressed to draw the pistol, I wouldn't trust it. audley.jpg

kpic and drymag like this.

3. Rob Watson

Rob Watson Well-Known Member

I have this one for my Ruger SR9 and SR45 and have been carrying it for several months and the only drawback is that I don't have one for all of my other pistols. I have also carried it at our range and have heard no bad issues with it. How can it cause a negligent discharge as the latch never comes into contact with the trigger. It is the most secure holster I have.
    [​IMG]

drymag likes this.
  4. Arteest

The “danger” that people proclaim is that the trigger finger that unlocks the gun ends up on the trigger after drawing, resulting in a possible ND. Ok, maybe a potential problem but how about a little unloaded gun practice. Some people don’t take the safety precautions seriously that are required when CC.

drymag and SeeMor Guns like this.
  5. Rob Watson

O.K., got it. But I have drawn mine a hundred or so times and my finger stays positioned alongside the trigger guard until I am ready to shoot. I reckon I just practice trigger discipline differently.[​IMG]

Empty_Holster, Arteest and drymag like this.
  6. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have been using a black hawk for my carry gun for many years and NEVER shot my foot off.
    I have never had a problem drawling it and never had my finger on the trigger when I drew my gun.
    Mike

Arteest and drymag like this.
  7. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have one for my Beretta 92. I don't see any safety problem with it. I just hate the way it feels. Very uncomfortable for me. I never use it.

drymag likes this.
  8. jonb32248

jonb32248 Well-Known Member

Got one for my Glock but never use it. I hate the lock button, it will slow a self defence draw due to the need to push that button to get the gun out quickly. A regular retention holster is much faster and more sure of a quick draw but keeping the gun secure.

drymag likes this.
  9. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have allot of practice drawling with mine and it does not slow me up at all.
    Mike

Arteest and drymag like this.
  10. AZ2VET

AZ2VET Well-Known Member

I have a couple of Blackhawk serpa holsters for a 92fs. I have practiced draw and fire with one of them a few times while keeping Tex Grubner in mind as I do not have near as meaty legs as he does. To me pushing the release button and drawing is easier than overcoming the tension of the fobus retention holster I carry my XD 45 in.
    My only thing with Blackhawk is customer support, which from my experience does not exist. I was given a Serpa Level 2 dropleg rig but it is missing one of the two clips needed to attach to your belt via Velcro which then clip to the holster. I have emailed Blackhawk numerous times from their website and have received ZERO replies or calls. I have even sent an email to VISTA OUTDOORS which is Blackhawks parent company, no reply. Take your chances with Blackhawk.

drymag likes this.
  11. jonb32248

jonb32248 Well-Known Member

That's fine if you use it and got it mastered I just don't want one more thing to do to draw. I see the possibility of the process being not properly pressed to release the gun. Just me so I'm glad you can do it correctly each time. I have enough other holsters, maybe too many. I use the Stealth Operator, one holster fits all my guns.

drymag likes this.
  12. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

That was a problem I think back in 2017, I'd think they would have resolved that by know, but who knows for sure. Need to check their site as well as contact there tech support, not a sales rep directly to verify.
    https://www.fletc.gov/sites/default...g-room/training-information/holisterStudy.pdf
    I have one of those by the bedside, but that gun also has a manual safety.
    I have another of the same holster for a non-safety gun that I do not quick draw. But since you posted this, I need to verify mine is not in that batch.
    Thanks for the question.

13. Rubone

Rubone Well-Known Member

Dang, I thought this was going to be about Holsters for Blackhawks!!:oops:

gdmoody and drymag like this.
  14. Rob Watson

I don't get the "pushing" the button thing. I drag my finger over it which releases the latch every time. Smooth as silk. The SR45 and SR9 both glide out and up and to the ready position like silk. I practice drawing every day and have never had an accidental discharge as trigger discipline keeps my trigger finger ready, but not through the guard onto the trigger unless I am live firing.

Arteest likes this.
  15. Arteest

That is exactly what their video teaches. I think if it is practiced the discipline would leave the trigger finger along the frame above the trigger, right where it’s supposed to be. But I don’t have one (yet) so can’t verify so can’t say from experience.

Rob Watson likes this.