The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "go to" Accurate #7 is not in stock locally. I was thinking of trying the Blue Dot, but am concerned about the reference to magnum. My assumption is that Blue Dot would not be a good powder for my use...since I am not loading magnum loads.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Your assumption may be correct. Blue Dot is a good choice for top end high performance/velocity loads. It is also well known for a **** ton of muzzle flash.

It is not a great choice for low to middle loads. At mid level it does not burn completely and performance is less than stellar.

Lots of better choices out there for mid range target loads. Whatcha got on hand and what can you still get locally?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve, I also have HS 6, which I feel much better about. Our Cabelas, Guns Unlimited, and Scheels are ALL low on powder. Things are getting crazy with Obamas' decision to unarm honest citizens.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a friend that has been reloading for a long time and is a NRA certified instructor that swears by Blue Dot for 9mm and 40 and he is shooting hard lead cast bullets. Here is a recipe that he gave me for 9mm. What do you guys think about it? 7.2 grains Blue dot, 124 grain lead RN OAL of 1.15. Alliant shows a max of 7.9gn for the 124gn FMJ. (starting load at 10% less or about 7.1gn). One thing that is good about the Blue Dot is that you can't double charge a case and recoil is less because of the slow burn rate.

·
Registered
69 Posts
CBirnley, My Dad has reloaded over 50 years. I got serious about it a couple of years ago after retiring. Of course I rely heavily on his knowledge and experience. Of all 9mm potential powders, the AA#7 has been by far our most accurate for the 124/125 grain bullets. We use 8.0 grains.

We have not experienced similar accuracy with 40 using AA#7. However, we have had very good results with Blue Dot in 40 - especially with the 180 grain bullets. We tested nearly 12 powders using bullet grains from 135 to 180. Blue Dot consistently came in second which is very good. Where we really like Blue Dot is in our CX4 - 40 cal. 165 grain and on down bullets were just shooting consistently high past 50 yards. But the 180 grain bullets (Nosler and Missouri Cast) have given us: 1.75 inch groups @ 65 yards; 2.2 and 2.5 inch groups @ 85 yards; and 2.8 - 3.5 inch groups @ 100 yards. Believe me, those are nice groups considering all the testing we did. I hesitate to say because some would think it crazy, but the best results for the 180 grains bullets has been Bullseye. Unique came in third behind Blue Dot but was quite a bit less accurate.

On our pistols, HK, Glock, and PX4 Storm @ 16 yards, our Blue Dot groups range from 1 inch to 1.4 inch with the 180 grain bullets. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i have been using winchester 231 for about a yr. get good accuracy and consistant velocity in my baretta and my firestar both in .40,, my smith .357 and .38 like it also both 3inch and 6 inch barrels

·
Registered
104 Posts
I went to the range today and shot 50 of the 9mm rounds using Blue Dot. They shot ok and I was able to do a little better with them than Factory Winchester white box ammo. What I did not like was how dirty and how much smoke came from the blue dot.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
I went to the range today and shot 50 of the 9mm rounds using Blue Dot. They shot ok and I was able to do a little better with them than Factory Winchester white box ammo. What I did not like was how dirty and how much smoke came from the blue dot.
What was the load? BD works best if loaded to the upper limits of published data.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Try SR 4756 or Hodgdon UNIVERSAL. I like both of them in the .40 S&W. Blue dot will work nicely, but it's not one of my prefered choices mostly because it's so dirty.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The load for the 9mm was 7.2gns blue dot with 125gn lead RN. Worked OK but dirty. Did not see any leading from the Magnus hard cast bullets. As far as 40cal, We used Hodgedon Universal 5.5gns with good results with 155gn Berrys bullets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.