The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
I think it's a roofie. Georgia Home Boy.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
my friend.. when the SHTF you will be the guy sleeping in your car on the side of the road, hungry and thirsty. I'll try to wave when I pass you.

The entire point of a GHB or BOB is having it when you need it.

If by only taking it when you when you think you will need it.. then.. well.. I hope yo can predict the future. and if so.. I need to get with you on some lottery advice and the next horse raise (wink).

having a practical yet non over the top BOB/GHB is EASY.

last year my buddies teenager made 'zombie apocylapse' prep boxes for 'the guys' that come over and go shooting..e tc.

these were in flip open top 'tupperware' type boxes the same size as a shoe box.

each kit had seperate ziplock bags in it stuffed with various items... some rubber gloves, a led flashlight, cheap knife, pack of twine, few feet of solid wire, pair of cotton gloves with ruberized fingers, some hand sanitizer and individual hand wipes. 3 1-use superglue tubes and a mini roll of duct tape and some sterile sealed gauze pads.

they were cheap to put together as most of those items were 1$ items at a dollar store / harbor freight.. etc. putting together 4 boxes cost about 20$ boxes included. we got them at halloween last year so it was fun. 3 times in the last month i've gone into that box to use something. ( glue , flashlight, piece of tape ).

I do lots of farm work and driving to jobsites for construction work. I almost always have a few bottles of watter rolling aound in the back seat. For the same reason.. I almost always have a can or two of nutritional drink/protien shake and a box of healthy meal bars. I can't always run off the farm and hit lunch.. so sometimes it's a choclate protien shake and a fi-bar etc.. :)

that pretty much is an emergency get home kit...

Looking at the recs and whatnot.. x days or xx days of food someone needs.. and the various ways to go about storing it.. I can tell you one thing I do.

at my house.. I keep a good supply of those nutritional drinks/protien shakes.

they take up the same space as a bottled water.. and are food+drink.

in most cases the experts tell you not to eat if you are dehydrated.. you need fluid for digestion. having a meal you can drink is not the same as having surplus water.. but if packing space is limited and you need 3 days worth of emergency food and water.. a case of shakes and some extra water takes up about the same space as the water alone.. minus bulky food. easy to eat on the go... don't have to unpak and prepair it like some of the milspec and civiliat flat packed ration meals.. especially the dehydrated ones..

ps.. I ALWAYS got a firearm with me... that's a no brainer... add to that a good tool kit in the vehicle.. and I got a chance anyway... better than a smack and poke with a sharp stick anyway..

soundguy
I always have a few things on me including a pistol and a way to start a fire. 29 miles as the crow flies to get home. No reason to carry all that stuff on a nice October day My pistol and fire starter will suffice

I always have a few things on me including a pistol and a way to start a fire. 29 miles as the crow flies to get home. No reason to carry all that stuff on a nice October day My pistol and fire starter will suffice
if the stuff tryly has hit the fan. that nice 29 mile pleasure hike may turn into somethng worse.

what if the reason you can't get home was a car accident.

you gonna bandage that cut with a gun or a fire?

they are reasonable items that we are carrying.

failure to do so likel;y means that when we pass you on the road, we find your looted corpse a few miles from the vehicle you HAD BEEN sleeping in.. oh yeah.. but you were warm because you had a fire, and they left a thank you note pinned to your body, thanking you for the gun. :(

minimalistic approach to survival is fine if you want minimal results. ;)

all i'm saying.

soundguy

If you are walking, something has happed! Did you just run out of gas? Not if you are taking the route of the crow! 29 miles as the crow flies, might turn into 60 miles as the man walks, unless you can fly! If your car is no longer running, and you didn't run out of gas, (EMT) then probably nobody's car is running. So they are out walking to! Now the woods are crowded, and you need to seek cover, and move quitely so you won't be found by others. 29 miles as the crow flies has just become an ordeal that could last up to a week! Opps, I forgot, you didn't prepare for water, so you never made it home!

If you are walking, something has happed! Did you just run out of gas? Not if you are taking the route of the crow! 29 miles as the crow flies, might turn into 60 miles as the man walks, unless you can fly! If your car is no longer running, and you didn't run out of gas, (EMT) then probably nobody's car is running. So they are out walking to! Now the woods are crowded, and you need to seek cover, and move quitely so you won't be found by others. 29 miles as the crow flies has just become an ordeal that could last up to a week! Opps, I forgot, you didn't prepare for water, so you never made it home!
EXACTLY!

simple emergency? yeah right.. when is an emergency simple.. :)

being prepaired is the best defense.

being minimally prepaired means you live just a little bit longer than the guy that wasn't prepaired at all. Hopefully leaving a good fire starter or other usefull items on your corpseso that those of us that are prepaired, when we find you.. can scavange it.. if the others didn't pick it clean already.. :) ;)

Simple emergency? Yeah right.. when is an emergency ever simple.

being prepaired is the best defense.
I like it, but I did take liberties with some of what you had to say! :D

If I can't take care of myself, I can't take care of my wife, and children. Since my responsibility is to them, then I have to make very sure that I am around to provide, and protect, them! I can't do that if I haven't given thought to, and prepared for, just about anything I can think of!

no, i agree with you entirely. that 29 mile walk home might turn into 60 miles and a week.. if at all.

I completely agree.

my simple emergency comment was to the OP. ( hard to communicate well typing.. :) )

I understood! When I said that I took liberty with some of what you posted, I meant that I made some small changes. Capitalized a couple of words, and added one. You, and I, are on the same page.

CB's are pretty handy, need to get one back in the truck.

I wouldn't leave a long gun (or any gun) in the vehicle all the time, cars get jacked or busted into way too often for me to take a risk like that. But I'd for certain have one anytime I'm out of the house, I just take it in the house when I get home. I always have at least my two handguns and usually I'm running around with either a shotgun or rifle, sometimes all the above.

Firepower! it's a wonderful thing

hey.. isn't ghb the acronym for some kind of drug? bet some drug agency is pickin gup on keywords here and wondering WTF!? :)
or Great Highland Bagpipes....

every time I see GHB that's what I think of first... then, oh yeah, Get Home Bag, duh.

or the old punk band GBH...

Discussion starter · #33 ·
So when is enough, enough? Everyone says I will be dead in my truck cause I don't have any water. There is water everywhere around here. You have no idea what my experience or training is how can you say that is my out come? It is just as easy to say you guys carry to much stuff as it is for you to tell me I don't have enough.

Water water everywhere, but not a dop to drink!

too much is better than not enough, I'm just overly prepared and the few times I've needed to call on my backup plan, I was more than thankful for everything I had.

I frequently am 30+ miles from any cell reception by myself out in the cascades, so I keep my rigs stocked with enough stuff to survive a breakdown, a bad unexpected storm, an injury, whatever.

I also push myself too far most days when I'm hunting especially, there's plenty of times where my body is completely crushed, dehydrated, and a little extra water/food can be a game changer. Heck, even after a good hard workout in the summer, driving home and being stuck for a couple hours, I easily could go through a half gallon of fluid or more.

everyone has a different level or sense of what they 'need', some have nothing and most of the time that's fine. But I was a good boy scout, so I keep some basics on hand in my vehicles. I don't have a GHB really, but just some 'just in case' stuff.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
What I carry varys based on the condition I am traveling in. I do not have a need for 200 rounds of .223, 10 gallons of water, 12 MREs, and a flask of holy water to make it home from work everyday. When I am deer hunting up north the list gets longer as there are more variables. But to say I will die in my truck is nothing short of stupid.

too much is better than not enough, I'm just overly prepared and the few times I've needed to call on my backup plan, I was more than thankful for everything I had.

I frequently am 30+ miles from any cell reception by myself out in the cascades, so I keep my rigs stocked with enough stuff to survive a breakdown, a bad unexpected storm, an injury, whatever.

I also push myself too far most days when I'm hunting especially, there's plenty of times where my body is completely crushed, dehydrated, and a little extra water/food can be a game changer. Heck, even after a good hard workout in the summer, driving home and being stuck for a couple hours, I easily could go through a half gallon of fluid or more.

everyone has a different level or sense of what they 'need', some have nothing and most of the time that's fine. But I was a good boy scout, so I keep some basics on hand in my vehicles. I don't have a GHB really, but just some 'just in case' stuff.
I'm a Eagle Scout myself. I live by "Be prepared."

too much is better than not enough, .
yep.

ask a carpenter.

is it beter to cut a board an inch too long or an inch too short! easy to trim an inch off.. hard to trim an inch back on. :)

if I'm carrying too much survival gear and have to ditch some along the way.. so be it.

if I don't have enough and hit a snag... that's a problem!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.