The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my last book, The Earth is Weeping. The books that came before it on the same basic subject, Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee and Empire of the Summer Moon. Having done all three of these in the last couple months I feel I have a good grasp on this section of the "old west".

Summer Moon, I would say wants to focus on Quanah Parker, but gets lost in the weeds at times. This is not a bad thing but if you are looking for a book just about Quanah this is not it. It covers the spanish dealings with them before Mexico became a country, and ends basically at 1900. There are light touches on other southern tribes and the different bands within the tribes, and even a lighter touch with northern events. This book is really a Comanche history book.

Burry my Heart at Wounded Knee: This one is more focused on the northern plains Cheyenne and Sioux, as well as other pacific north west tribes, as well as some most have never learned about like the Kintpuash. It basically ends with the massacre at Wounded Knee.

The Earth is Weeping: Is also focused on the northern plains, this is a good book to read as well as wounded knee, I think I would suggest reading wounded knee first, it is a bit more general, earth goes into more detail on things like Custer, and I think does a better job at telling just how the indian way of life was.

All of these books are a fantastic read, with many quotes from Generals down to enlisted men on the white side and many indian quotes on the indian side. None of these books paint the US .gov in a very good light. IMHO that is something that just can not be done. All these books talk of broken treaty, broken promises, broken men. The one thing the reader needs to understand right off is the American Indian was a stone age people till the whites came, The horse and gun forced them to advance hundreds of years in a very short time. Also none of the books paint Custer or (for the most part) the post civil war US army in a good light, again that is pretty impossible to do.

If you have a general interest in this topic and are thinking you know after reading this I should read one of these, I would suggest wounded knee, a more easy read, Earth will make you put it down from time to time thinking what the f.

Not much is widely known of this time in American history, and what is generally known is false. I have learned so much in reading these books, and it has caused me to dive into other areas of this time, going and reading the Daws Act, the Indian citizen act of 1924.....that is correct the American Indian, born here, pays tax here, was not a citizen till 1924, and that is when they got the right to vote, after women, and long after the blacks, and NO it has nothing to do with the reservation system like some think.

Strongly suggested if you are interested in history, you will learn a great many things, and likely change your way of thinking.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts