Bought a new Vetterli Stock

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by The Collector, Jul 12, 2016.

1. The Collector

The Collector Well-Known Member

So, as I'm sure you guys remember, I bought a 1873 Italian Vetterli Vitali. The stock had been cut down and refinished, but the rest of the gun was in pretty damned good shape for its age. The Cartouches on the stock are in immaculate condition and the remaining wood is in excellent repair as well. So, I've opted to slowly restore the rifle to its former glory. I bought a couple of missing parts, like the rear sling swivel and a forward barrel band. But today I received the second to last piece. I got an Italian Vetterli stock for the 6.5 conversion that has the nose cap. Its got some dings and the rear of the stock was cut down an inch, but it is in pretty darn good condition. I'm going to have my gunsmith splice both stocks together and there is a guy in town that can restore the original dark European finish to the original stock. Now all I need is a barrel band retaining spring for the front barrel band and I can start worrying about things like original cleaning rods, bayonets, and slings!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  2. Colt452zigzags

Colt452zigzags New Member

3. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Any chance your source might have a M1886 Lebel forestock?
    (or even a complete set of wood..?)

4. The Collector

The Collector Well-Known Member

No. Sorry, about that.

5. Colt452zigzags

Colt452zigzags New Member

Mine is cut down I think barrel too

Attached Files: