The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't fired it yet........ But that will change soon.

I paid $150 for it from a private seller. He had bought it last year and fired it a few times times since. But right now, he needed the money more than another rifle at the moment.

I've read where these were going for around $100 or so. (Or a bit under depending where you live) It was the first one I had seen up close around here. Impulse buy? Maybe. But being a history buff, the rifle was available and the price was affordable.

It is Russian and all the serial numbers match. It's marked 1945 (issued that year, I imagine). The only part missing is the cleaning rod however this can be replaced/restored. Wood stock is not laminated and in very good condition. All steel parts are rust free, no dings or corrosion.

Checked the bore and found it "dark" with some powder residue what I expected from it being fired but not cleaned. No rust, pits or anything else though. Used Hoppe's #9 and after several patches, the last ones came out clean. Cleaned the action of any possible residue and lightly oiled it so it opens/closes smoother now.

The previous owner had four rounds to give me. None were steel cased. Two were FMJ and two were hunting rounds (lead tipped) Will be buying some surplus ammo tomorrow though and anything else I may need. (e.g. earplugs ;))

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! I have one as well. I paid $127 for mine. Be advised, they kick pretty good. I found my ammo at cheaper than dirt. Yeah, its surplus. Keep windex handy to take care of the primer salts. Enjoy. Btw, it's loud. Use ear muffs, at least. Mine is the 91/30, which is longer and heavier than yours. Recoil will be stout. Hold on!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have one too got it last year, fun as heck to shoot , kicks like a red mule , if you use surplus ammo use Windex to kill the salt from the corrosive primers, them clean amd oil it , I do mine Every Time I shoot it .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi and thanks for the tips!

After calling around, I found a gun store that carried the ammunition. 20 rounds (FMJ) surplus military wrapped in paper for $8. So bought several. Haven't a clue what country these came from though.
(To Shop Tom, thank you for sharing the video. Um yes, I did buy some ear plugs. My local range also has a canopy with a metal roof. Every time I fired any weapon standing underneath or or sitting at the bench there.....that metal roof just enhances the report! Yep, looking forward to the "fireball".....at least "once")

The gun store is run by an older couple and their son with a couple of helpers. It's been in the same spot for ages and visited there before. A decent selection of new and old firearms whether military surplus or civilian. BP or modern. "Shotgun" style store (longer than it is wide) . Very helpful and friendly. There is a more comfortable , laid back "feeling" than some larger ones I've been in. I don't know if it is permissible here to give their store's name or not.

Anyway, they had a Russian M44 carbine (stamped 1944) in their Military Surplus Rifle rack along the wall. Also a Finnish M38 Mosin Nagant carbine. Newly acquired as I hadn't seen these the last time I was there (several weeks ago)

You can look a photos in books and on line, but it's not the same as being able to physically look over and compare the two.

Their M44 was marked with the same importer's name as the one found on my mine!

The stock was oiled and the action had more blue left on. It still had its cleaning rod and asked Roy if he had another in stock....unfortunately, no. Looked down the bore (of course this one was clean). Outside of shining a wee bit more than mine (after cleaning it thoroughly), the condition was the same.

So asked husband a few general questions about the Mosin after describing mine to him. For a military surplus rifle they are quite accurate ( two inch groups) if you get one with a good bore. Cleaning tips were the same. He had a $199 price on this particular one because of its overall general condition and the bore (depending on condition, his prices run between $79 to $199.)

By the way, the Finnish one had the same price.

I asked him about the recoil since everyone seems to say it kicks hard. More so than an Enfield 303. But as I've fired my husband's 45-70 Sharps (Modern powder...not BP) I wondered if the "kick" would be similar while pushing out that heavier bullet. But then, it's a heavier rifle overall compared to the M44. So the Sharps absorbs the recoil energy more than a lighter, smaller caliber rifle. His opinion was it was close, but if I could handle a 45-70 "kick", the M44 should be manageable.

Heh....will find out soon enough. "grins".

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Congratulations! The most successful sniper in the recorded history was a Finnish soldier in the Winter War with a Mosin Nagant. $150 is a fair deal with it in nice condition. These rifles are the type of rifle that with even a lot of abuse just continue to work. Getting one in nice condition is a good score. There is ammo available and the best way to get it is to order it in bulk on-line. Order 500 rounds, it will be delivered with UPS to your door.

I know how you feel not having fired it yet. I picked up my 1950's bolt action 12 gauge yesterday from our local FFL that I won in an auction and was sent to me - total cost $109 with the FFL transfer. Came home and cleaned it up some - it does seem to have been decently cleaned and oiled and in good working condition so, now I need some 12 gauge shotgun shells so I can go test mine :)

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
The Chinese ammo may be more corrosive so make sure you clean the rifle well after going shooting with it. Quite honestly though the surplus Russian ammo isn't much better if at all. Keeping your rifle clean is something every good soldier does anyway - no matter what ammo they have to shoot ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello WHSmithIV

Yes, buying in bulk like that would be better. For what I paid, buying online would have been cheaper overall although the shipping charges would been high. At least I have more than the four rounds I started with.

I will keep your suggestion in mind.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Hello WHSmithIV

Yes, buying in bulk like that would be better. For what I paid, buying online would have been cheaper overall although the shipping charges would been high. At least I have more than the four rounds I started with.

I will keep your suggestion in mind.
Cheaperthandirt.com- 440 rounds of milsurp for about $90 or so. I use that.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
SGammo and AIM surplus for the ammo. All surplus will be corrosive primers, I just fill the little two sided oil can with Windex and pour it down the chamber when she's still nice and hot from shooting, then run a patch through with Hoppes till I get home and can clean it good. Water works too, the Windex just evaporates faster if it isn't still hot.

The ammo these were designed for is actually machine gun ammo, which is why you get the nice fireball. I shoot at my buddy's place in the woods, it's neat to watch the weeds blow down in front of the bench when I touch it off! Once we had a dead branch fall out of a nearby tree, my buddy about fell over laughing...told me even if I couldn't hit a deer with it, it'd probably die of a concussion from the muzzle blast.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Soapy water is somewhat better than windex-idea is to getout the salts.
Just dry and oil after.

There is a long discussion on various cleaning agents on another board, but CRS where.
I shoot lots of BP, so cleaning is important.

This little gun will really kick-just get a good tight hold.
Millions have suvived firing them.

It is a cabine so don't expect any great performance.

It should easily hit a mansize target center of mass at a couplehundred yards with iron sights.
The rifle will stretch that quite a bit.
Have fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts

The ammo these were designed for is actually machine gun ammo, which is why you get the nice fireball. ..........
Uh, no. 7.62x54r machine gun ammo is loaded to the same velocity and pressure as rifle rounds. The only different ammo was for the ShKAS machine gun, and those rounds had reinforced primers and bases, the pressure and velocity remained the same. The fireball is from still burning powder from the shorter barrel of the M44 (and other MN carbines). The 91/30, Dragoons, and M/91s don't exhibit the fireball.

tom

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
They are fun little guns.Put a small size rifle butt pad on.It fits perfect.They are crude in some ways but built solid and durable to last.I think it's one of the best gun values for around $100 out there.I think they're under priced.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.