The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im looking to get into bow hunting for the up coming season and i need a bow probably going to be a cross bow so im looking for you ideas and recomdations

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Sorta like posting you want to eat ice cream and need suggestions for what flavor? Please don't take offense but I believe most will need more info. Do you hunt from a tree stand, a blind, stalk or some other method. Also, are you handicapped so you couldn't use a compound or long bow? Not knowing the above, I can only offer my experience.
Many years ago I began with a sears fiberglass long bow. No instructions, no suggestions of what arrows, nothing...Couldn't hit the inside of a barn, but it was fun and I eventually killed a ground hog, who would have been safe if he hadn't walked in front of my arrow. From there I went to a compound bow, again with out instructions, or help, and actually took a deer with it. (He too walked in front of my arrow). I began to study after my deer kill and actually went to a bow shop and was measured and fitted for a compound bow. For the first time in my life I practiced with equipment that was designed to work together. My arrows were the right weight and length, my bow fit me, and I had all the other gadgets needed to do it right. I went on to harvest about 100 deer, occasionally upgrading to better equipment. The compound bow is a deadly weapon, enjoyable to practice with, enjoyable to hunt with, and can be used for several game animals. Several years ago I had a fruit loop pull out in front of my vehicle as I approached an intersection. My spare tire broke loose and hit me at the base of my neck. I can not draw my compound bow. I borrowed a crossbow. I didn't like it. To me it felt as though I were carrying a ship anchor from the car to the woods. I was just uncomfortable. Plus, after a shot, it was like chaning a tire on a car to reload. My middle son (I have three boys) and I built a reflex/duplex bow with a 45 pound draw. I've practiced with it and have hunted with it for three years. I have come close, but have not harvested a deer with it. But it is most enjoyable to shoot and hunt with. It takes a lot more skill than a compound.
So, I guess what I'm saying is, go to an acrchery shop and try all three. Don't put a whole lot of money into your first choice, go with something fitted but used. Practice and enjoy.
fred:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ditch the crossbow and go compound. More rewarding in my own personal experiance.

Don't buy a bow off the internet. Go to a pro shop, get mesured and get the bow that fits you and your style. Determine your price range 1st, then you can start with a selection that suits your needs.

Lastly, Get A Hoyt!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts